Help me decide...recone hdc3's or try the XXX

da box king
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Portland, MI
Well I've been wanting to recone my 05 XXX to an 18".

Or I will recone my bad 15" hdc3 and try it again....but I still think they will heat up. Maybe I will have to build a new box, and change some wires.

Or I have been wanting to get 2 18's too. So I was thinkin of reconing my 15" hdc3's to 18's instead

Recone the XXX to an 18 would cost me about $235

Reconing my 15" hdc3 would cost about $75 total or $140 ish for both

Or Reconing my 15's to 18's would cost roughly $300 for copper coils.

I just hate knowing the fact that the hdc3 were heating up. I would love to keep running them...beh 10 min of full tilt just aint enough

and well I have always wanted to try an 05 XXX...18" would be sick, and I would run it @ 4 ohm off my vr4000d so 2000rms to it...later on I could possibly get another recone goin and run 2 18" XXX's

IDK wtf to...so confused...figured if I don't go big now, then I can in the fall and would like to try 2 18" nightshades

Recone the HDC's to alum coils and realize that you gain roughly one more 15 in cone area by going to 18's, so it'll be that much louder and maybe you won't have to push them as hard.

Sleepy_jr runs 2 18's off 4k of power and I've never smelled them get stinky. And honestly 10-20 minutes at full tilt is about all anyone can take.

Recone the HDC's to alum coils and realize that you gain roughly one more 15 in cone area by going to 18's, so it'll be that much louder and maybe you won't have to push them as hard.
Sleepy_jr runs 2 18's off 4k of power and I've never smelled them get stinky. And honestly 10-20 minutes at full tilt is about all anyone can take.
alum I think are about $380 total....I do love sleepy's setup:crazy:

kinda ***** cuz that means I'm pretty much buying a whole 18" hdc3 then....just have the motor still tho

the 380 would include to glue kits...$60 in glue...holy fvck... not sure if I really need 2 bottles...I didn't use all the glue for my 2 15" recones

arent you worried that if 2 15"s at 4000 watts wasnt enough that you'll push the 18" too hard to compensate and blow it?
well I know the xxx aint spl...and will be gettin a conservative 2k...but yeah has crossed my mind....just would also make the box a lil on the small side to take the power

maybe its something with your box. how big is your box?
8 cubes tuned to 37.77 hz...I told dj the specs of the box, and he agreed they seemed fine....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I want to get the new subs ready in about a month, or 5 weeks...so then I can do the build over spring break

8 cubes tuned to 37.77 hz...I told dj the specs of the box, and he agreed they seemed fine....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
I want to get the new subs ready in about a month, or 5 weeks...so then I can do the build over spring break
hmmm.

did you talk to dj about it?

what did he say?

i talked to dj bout everything...and he's pretty sure I'm clipping for sure..I even have turned my gain down more after setting with a dmm

here are the specs on the box so someone can check it

Port is 4" x 29" x 19.5" Long. The port is centered in the box to the back. The inside dimensions are 25.5" D x 43" W x 15.75" T. I just took some quick measurements. The box is roughly 8 cubes tuned to 37.77 after dis.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.