Help me decide on an electrical system. Wire gauge questions.

Participant count
  • Participant list

why3zx

Just trying to decide exactly what I actually need as oppose to going overkill. Being said I have no plans to go bigger in the future on this car, I feel like going any bigger would require modification to the car which I am not willing to do.

Car is an 08 Cadillac STS-V. Will be running three Massive Audio HIPPO 8" (1K watt peak) in A T-Line box (being built by Stang) in the trunk. Have pretty much decided on running the Massive E3 amp due to size and its built in line converter. I am stuck using the stock head unit due to the fact that it controls so much of the cars functionality, and the active BOSE front stage is surprisingly good. I will be tying into the stock amps subwoofer output and removing the stock 10" sub from the rear deck.

So what do I really need for wiring? Do I really need to go 1/0 for a 2800W Peak amp?

Car has a 150A alt, A good AGM battery, and I will be doing the big 3 in whatever gauge wire I choose to go to the truck, trunk run will be about 15-18 ft. Ground run will be very short.

Would CCA Wire be sufficient?

I know you guys are pretty divided on CAPs but would Massive's 4F cap that ties right into the amp help?

If you were in my position what would you run? want lightest weight and least money, but want it done right.

idk what the rms on that is but if it's 1/2 that 0 ga would be best for sure... idk why u chose the amp based on loc lots of amps out there i'm sure for lots less than that i would think and loc are not only cheap but i have one in box here i sell u for $5 if u were here lol, so thats not any reason to settle on a amp.. if u need it i would try battery instead of cap put a isolator on it and that way u can run stereo with car off.. and u can buy 50ft cheap oga wire for like $50 not the best but better than 4ga and buy fuse and what not and u could even do the big wires under hood with all that.. so all u need to power the 8? is that what amp is doing?.. maybe u should let us recommend some amps save u enough $ to get loc and wire maybe even battery.. ok looked up that amp yeah price per watt is hard to beat if it really does rated power., see if any guys here know about them..

idk what the rms on that is but if it's 1/2 that 0 ga would be best for sure... idk why u chose the amp based on loc lots of amps out there i'm sure for lots less than that i would think and loc are not only cheap but i have one in box here i sell u for $5 if u were here lol, so thats not any reason to settle on a amp.. if u need it i would try battery instead of cap put a isolator on it and that way u can run stereo with car off.. and u can buy 50ft cheap oga wire for like $50 not the best but better than 4ga and buy fuse and what not and u could even do the big wires under hood with all that.. so all u need to power the 8? is that what amp is doing?.. maybe u should let us recommend some amps save u enough $ to get loc and wire maybe even battery.. ok looked up that amp yeah price per watt is hard to beat if it really does rated power., see if any guys here know about them..
I chose the amp for a number of reasons (I actually haven't pulled the trigger yet), One I like to match components, two is the form factor, three is the price per watt, four has been the reviews i've read from other people (however very lacking on much for anything Massive on this forum), and five, I like the built in LOC and the fact that it has a 4Fa cap that attaches right to the amp. I am however open to other options.

If you think I'm good with 0ga CCA wire that will save me money and weight.

I ask about the CAP because I am weight conscious and really want to avoid a second battery, plus the space issue of a second battery, and I want this to look as minimalist as possible in the trunk.

My other fear about the amp, even though its CEL Certified (I understand to take that with a grain), that it may not be enough to drive three of those 8's like they want to be driven. However I fear that if I go any bigger a high amp alt and second battery are going to be unavoidable.

Thanks for the reply!

OFC is my liking for wiring..Ive used CCA and the min of any kind of moisture/humidity it began to corrode.You could prob get bye with the stock alt and a really decent AGM batt with 2k rms.any more, I would at the least look into placing a small batt in rear,like the Kinetik 600 or equivalent (Ive ran one without any issues and did just fine for 3 k).As far as the amp goes??? Ive never used one of the Massives, so I myself cannot tell you if it will serve well or not.If it does rated, it will at lest get the subs moving..At theyre maxed potential? More than likely not..But why not wait and see how it works out, or look into the PRV amps even, Stepsons/Taramps even?Known Brazilian work horses for the money as well as spaced being saved that have excellent reviews.I took my Massive 6.5s and replaced with CDT, and never have looked back as far as the speakers Ive experienced

I chose the amp for a number of reasons (I actually haven't pulled the trigger yet), One I like to match components, two is the form factor, three is the price per watt, four has been the reviews i've read from other people (however very lacking on much for anything Massive on this forum), and five, I like the built in LOC and the fact that it has a 4Fa cap that attaches right to the amp. I am however open to other options.
If you think I'm good with 0ga CCA wire that will save me money and weight.

I ask about the CAP because I am weight conscious and really want to avoid a second battery, plus the space issue of a second battery, and I want this to look as minimalist as possible in the trunk.

My other fear about the amp, even though its CEL Certified (I understand to take that with a grain), that it may not be enough to drive three of those 8's like they want to be driven. However I fear that if I go any bigger a high amp alt and second battery are going to be unavoidable.

Thanks for the reply!
i just don't about those amps, look around amazon ct sounds has nice 1400, rf 1200 does over 1300 cab amp more power but just got 1 for a guy and man it's huge and weighs 30pounds + they all cost more..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.