Help me choose: Hat imagine vs ID CTX65cs vs Morel Maximo 6.5

Jayh9797
10+ year member

Tx
Please help me choose, I am having troubles deciding. These are all about the same $ amount (my budget $200) I am looking for SQ and looking to go active. I will be matching my amp to the speakers I choose for the best set up. Thanks I need help making the decision

HATs will probably have the potential to sound the best of those, but IMO will require a little more effort than the others to reach full potential; unless you plan on going active right from the jump, which I think you said you do. (In that case also check into raw drivers from parts express or madisound)

Anywhooo, I know atleast one guy with each set of comps youre asking about and.....

From what some friends have told me about those Morels is that they like alot of power but when properly fed will get plenty loud and tons of midbass while still maintaining clarity.

The ID set, I was told was very clear and detailed he didnt comment on the midbass as much though.

The Imagine set, based on the review I was given, seems to be right in between the 2. Strong midbass, with great detail and clarity. But will probably be best if you keep them mounted coaxially. (Once again, unless active)

All of that said, I have never heard either set in person, which is why I recommend you go listen to some stuff. But what I can honestly say is that for the prices of those sets, I dont see myself buying a set of HAT Imagines $250 unless I've extensively listened to them. But thats just me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
now ask all of them^ if they have heard any of those in person.. or if they even know what your listening preferences are.. both will probably truthfully be no but who knows what they might say

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

you mean all

now ask all of them^ if they have heard any of those in person.. or if they even know what your listening preferences are.. both will probably truthfully be no but who knows what they might say 

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

you mean all
I have, HAT

I have both HAT Imagines and Morel Maximos in 5.25", so I'll give you my impressions. However I have no idea how they are different from 6.5's. Usual caveats apply... my install, my music, my ears. YMMV.

The Morels are all about the midrange. Crystal clear with amazing detail. I hear things in my music that I never heard before. The tweeters are a bit overpowering if mounted on-axis. Not harsh by any means, just loud. The crossovers don't have any attenuation for that, but if you're going active that won't matter. Midbass is OK but not spectacular. They like power and are somewhat anemic at very low volumes. They need to be supplemented with subs.

The Imagine's are smooth and very natural sounding. Midbass is excellent, even at low volume. The tweeters are superb (mine are mounted coaxially, which is the default). The spec sheet says they're made to be off axis and will be loud otherwise. Again, you can change that with active amping.

My install still needs some work, and both of these speakers are sensitive to installation - the Morels in particular. If your install is less than ideal, I'd pick the HATs.

So, I like the clarity of the Maximos and the midbass of the Imagines - I'm not sure which set I'll end up with when I'm done.

I own the HAT's & I've heard the ID's. Haven't heard the Morel's.

i love my morels, i have heard the imagines and i totaly agree with maylar. I have not heard the id. I have heard recently all the hertz line and the audison componets and I can say that they are not worth $300 more than my morels cost.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.