Help getting the most out of my front stage

Participant count
  • Participant list

cjk813

Good morning,

I've been lurking these forums for a while checking out tons of build logs and finally decided to make an account. My system pales in comparison to most of yours haha, but I'm trying to maximize the performance of my current equipment on a budget.

Currently I'm running a very basic set up as follows:

Headunit: Pioneer AVHX-2600bt

Fronts: Polk DB6501s

Rears: Polk DB 651s (running off of headunit power)

Sub: Old Infinity Reference 12 (the ones with the white dust cap) in a sealed box

Amp: Pioneer GM-D8604 4 channel amp - channels 1 and 2 power my fronts and 3 and 4 are bridged sending 300w to my sub

RCAs: Knuconceptz Krystal Kable

So anyways, I'm having a few problems. The woofers on the DB 6501s are distorting at relatively low volumes (22 and up/40 on my headunit with amp gains set pretty low). Also, just recently my speakers have started making a popping noise when I shift my car into park. I think it's due to my wiring. I ran new 16 gauge wiring when I installed my fronts, but I did a poor job of running it through the boot. I plan to fix the wiring this weekend, but wondered if this could even be what's causing my woofer to distort. It happens with both woofers and I don't think either is blown. I've checked the polarities at least a dozen times and everything is hooked up correctly. There is no visible damage to the wire and it doesn't appear to be getting pinched by the door.

Next, after fixing the wiring I'm wondering what would be my best course of action for deadening. I already have rattletrap 80mm on my front doors and a box of STP black magic spl foam on the way for the fronts. Do you guys think this will be enough? Not in terms of being enough to cover the doors, just in terms of effectiveness. I plan to cover the entire door in a layer of the black magic over the rattletrap.

Finally, Since I'm not really running rears (they're hooked up but running off of headunit power and my system is almost entirely faded to the front), would it be worth while to deaden the rear on a budget, or would it be better for me to focus all of my deadening budget on the front doors and trunk?

I apologize if anything is vague, just let me know if you guys need any more information and I'll be happy to provide it.

If your distorting at low volume, redo your gains. They are probably way too low.

I have no idea why it would pop when you shift into park. I know popping Can have something to do with ground issues though. i used to have a system that would pop when i started the car. Maybe your ground is getting feedback..I have no idea. Can you shift into park and into drive and into park over and over and get a popping every time? Something is obviously very wrong if you can.

Recheck your power wire/ground wire for amps.

Redo gains.

as for making your fronts sound best.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html

Look at what he does to his doors.

Dont deaden the rear, waste of time for speakers you dont care about really. Although you might want to look into deadening the trunk for your sub though, ive never ventured into that in my own build so youll have to do some research to see if its worth it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.