Help finding a decent oscilloscope

Dafaseles

CarAudio.com Recruit
Nov 12, 2020
Hey, I've never used one and don't know much about them. A friend of mine is looking to buy one to help in setting up his system but will probably only use it once or twice so he doesn't want to spend a ton of money.
So 2 questions, are budget friendly oscilloscopes generally garbage? And 2, if not, does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks in advance

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
ND
I think you'd be fine with something cheap if you're only going to use it to detect clipping. I'd recommend something older and higher quality over something newer and cheaper quality. I personally use an Instek GOS-620 because it was free. I don't have any experience with the newer handheld scopes, but I wouldn't trust them unless they are made by a reputable company; for all i know, cheaper ones might merely measure frequency and voltage and spit out an image on the display. An actual trace display can't do that.

Anything you get should include a manual that describes basic settings and the calibration procedure.

Reactions: Dafaseles

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
I've seen a few people on DIYMA that have used it and said it does the job for a cheap one. I have it sitting on my list at amazon because of that. I asked the same questions a few months ago and 3 or 4 people popped right in & said it does the job. While it isn't the greatest it does what it is supposed to.

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
That 2nd one I posted is the same thing and it is a fully assembled kit. Seen a couple guys use that one as well. For the price you can't beat either one. I plan on getting one in a couple months. Just waiting on the extra cash to do it.

From amazon on the 1st link...

"STARTO SQ15001 oscilloscope is an assembled finished machine. NOT DIY PART"

Reactions: Dafaseles

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds