Help finding a decent oscilloscope

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dafaseles

CarAudio.com Exclusive
Hey, I've never used one and don't know much about them. A friend of mine is looking to buy one to help in setting up his system but will probably only use it once or twice so he doesn't want to spend a ton of money.
So 2 questions, are budget friendly oscilloscopes generally garbage? And 2, if not, does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks in advance

I think you'd be fine with something cheap if you're only going to use it to detect clipping. I'd recommend something older and higher quality over something newer and cheaper quality. I personally use an Instek GOS-620 because it was free. I don't have any experience with the newer handheld scopes, but I wouldn't trust them unless they are made by a reputable company; for all i know, cheaper ones might merely measure frequency and voltage and spit out an image on the display. An actual trace display can't do that.

Anything you get should include a manual that describes basic settings and the calibration procedure.

I've seen a few people on DIYMA that have used it and said it does the job for a cheap one. I have it sitting on my list at amazon because of that. I asked the same questions a few months ago and 3 or 4 people popped right in & said it does the job. While it isn't the greatest it does what it is supposed to.

That 2nd one I posted is the same thing and it is a fully assembled kit. Seen a couple guys use that one as well. For the price you can't beat either one. I plan on getting one in a couple months. Just waiting on the extra cash to do it.

From amazon on the 1st link...

"STARTO SQ15001 oscilloscope is an assembled finished machine. NOT DIY PART"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.