Clamp test issues...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Azoth428

CarAudio.com Recruit
FL
Ok so got a taramp bass 3k hooked up to dual 2 ohm subs. Did a clamp test to configure the gains. A 50hz test tone at 0db was playing and then I turned it up until I was clipping and then backed off it. Took my readings and I get 50 volts and 6.2 amps. Amp meet and multimeter both set to 200 ac. Im supposed to multiply 50 x 6.2 for wattage which equals 310 but that is waaaay low for this amp. Am I doing something wrong? If I move the decimal point over it becomes 62 which makes it 3100 which seems more like what it's supposed to be but I've watched a ton of videos on this and no one has said anything about doing that. I'm at a loss.

Last edited:
What scale should the amp meter be set to then? I need to get this right because I'm overpowering the subs to the max and I don't want to blow them.

Thats 310watts with impedance that has risen to a hair over 8 ohms.

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/watt-volt-amp-calculator.html

Impedance rise seems fine, but it seems like the input signal is weak af, that amp should be making more than 310w at 8 ohms.

What kind of headunit do you have and what are the settings at?

Also you should use a test tone level closer to the music you listen to. Normal music is never recorded at 0db, I'd use a -3db tone for music.

Thats 310watts with impedance that has risen to a hair over 8 ohms.

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/watt-volt-amp-calculator.html

Impedance rise seems fine, but it seems like the input signal is weak af, that amp should be making more than 310w at 8 ohms.

What kind of headunit do you have and what are the settings at?

Also you should use a test tone level closer to the music you listen to. Normal music is never recorded at 0db, I'd use a -3db tone for music.
Kenwood dmx4707s head unit. Everything for the sub are set to let the amp handle everything (called through), bass boost off, eq off. Head unit is literally doing nothing. I wonder if my ground is causing the issue? I'm gonna measure my grounds resistance tonight and see.

Just measured the preamp output and it's 2 volts which is what the manufacturer says its supposed to put out. I'm honestly starting to think I have an improper ground causing it to clip at very low gains.

Ok so I moved the ground and the current almost doubled so it's definitely a ground issue. Now I'm getting 54 volts at 11 amps. While I was testing it at the circle k a guy was asking me about it and I told him that I have a 2 volt drop at the amp and low current. I also told him I suspect a bad ground (which I'm convinced of now) and he said to ground it to the seat rails. I've read this is a good idea and also read that it is a bad idea. What do yall think?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.