Help figuring out box volume?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jdg784
10+ year member

Yep..I'm God
Alright, well I got a box from a friend who just had it sitting in his basement from a 15" sub he was gonna buy about a month ago but never did. It's a roadgear (hang with me for just a second) carpeted box w/these dimensions (See pic). From what I can tell it's very well made 1" MDF caulked seams, gold terminals, includes poly-fill, and is quite sturdy. (Can't get it to flex at all) Wondering A) if anyone has any experience w/these boxes B) If ya think it could handle a Brahma 15" w/1200 watts, and C) what the interior volume is?

Not going to figure out the volume since there is no way in hell that will handle a 1200 watt sub, it will literally explode!! Just because you cant flex it doesn't mean its anywhere near strong enough, one side to my box is plexiglas that was 1/2" thick and i couldn't even come close to flexing it. It crack in 4 different places as soon as the volume on the w7 went up, and its only running about 600 watts to it. Point being, there is an insane amount of pressure inside a box with only a little power, much less 1000+ watts!! Please dont try to put that sub in there, its a recipy for disaster.

Why don't you think it would handle it? I had a similar box that handled a 600 watt sub very well...and even if it is too much pressure..the box would break not the sub...**** I just need to figure out the internal volume

Well ****..what do you suggest I do for a box? ...I doubt it will hurt to try it in this box for now (Haven't even placed the order for the sub yet though)

Originally posted by Jdg784 Why don't you think it would handle it? I had a similar box that handled a 600 watt sub very well...and even if it is too much pressure..the box would break not the sub...**** I just need to figure out the internal volume
No....i ment that very litterally, I have seen boxes break into hundreds of peices in an instant. Not to mention, the difference in pressure from a 600 watt sub and a 1200 wat sub is massive. and as Jmac said, the leaks in the box will damage the sub. Dont try it, its not worth the risk over $30 box.

Alright..we'll I'll probably just build my own in this case...in my supercab f-150 what would be the best way to have it facing? I can't fit it under the seat obviously, I was going to make a custom piece to fit the metal of the 40 part of the 60/40 split rear seat (where my current sub is sitting...just the box is too small to fill the entire space). It would be easiest to have it going straight up..but would that sound ok? Or better facing agains't the back wall..

why dont you just add extra screws and put more sealant inside the box and that will solve your problems, i dont know what they are talking about cause 1 inch thick is pretty **** thick. maybe you can put some kind of coating inside to further protect it, maybe some kind of oil based paint or primer. ps, its been a long time since trig , if i have a triangle with a 90 deg angle and i know that one side is 3.6 and the side right next to it is 4 , how do i get the third angle, is it a2+b2=c2 , i mean do i get b2= the square root of c2-a2... could somebody please remind me, im getting old and have a bad memory. thanks

no you cant do that, the point that the other member made is that no matter how you seal it, its going to flex and create more leaks. IMO, the box is literaly going blow up (implode or explode). 1" inch is thick, but it has considerably less strength than even 1/2 inch mdf, and I would never put a sub bigger than about 300 watts in a 1/2" mdf box. I will be honest with you, this is not even an opinion thing where someone can make an argument, it should NOT be done, end of story.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.