Help diagnosing + improving subwoofer installation

This might sound stupid, but what would I gain from putting it in the trunk? Of course that's what I did when I first got my system because that's what everybody does, but I tried putting it in the backseat out of curiosity to see how it would sound. I feel like with a lot of subs, it would sound awful, but that JL have such a good tone, it actually sounds really nice. Then again, I haven't tried it in the trunk with my recent set up, so I'll give it a shot. I just feel like the trunk with muffle a lot and take away some volume.

This might sound stupid, but what difference will I hear by putting it in the truck? I originally had them in the trunk when I first got the system, but tried it in the backseat as experiment. I actually ended up liking the sound and haven't tried it in the trunk since my recent rewiring. I just feel like putting in the trunk would muffle it and take away volume.

from what you just described, your using a pre-fab sealed enclosure. dude, if you want decent bass on a cheap dime, first thing you NEED to do is build the right box. help me help you.. whats the MAX width and heigth of the trunk

This might sound stupid, but what difference will I hear by putting it in the truck? I originally had them in the trunk when I first got the system, but tried it in the backseat as experiment. I actually ended up liking the sound and haven't tried it in the trunk since my recent rewiring. I just feel like putting in the trunk would muffle it and take away volume.
subwoofers need to reflect and load off a solid wall to get better sound. Especially if you use a sealed box. Still unless you have a proper box, you wont achieve the results you want. That boss amp is the cause of stuff blowing. Its purebred garbage. Sell everything besides the W3 and start over.

subwoofers need to reflect and load off a solid wall to get better sound. Especially if you use a sealed box. Still unless you have a proper box, you wont achieve the results you want. That boss amp is the cause of stuff blowing. Its purebred garbage. Sell everything besides the W3 and start over.
ive been reading a lot here that last few months, this guy knows what hes talking about!

I'd start with replacing the bad sub get rid of the boss junk and better grounds it looks like you just screwed them down you need to remove the paint at the ground point to bare metal

#1 get rid of the Boss amp, the Kenwood amp x500.1 I've seen blow a lot of subs, I don't know what it is but it puts out power but not clean power

#2 everybody says don't mix subs but if it's all you have it's better than one, but if the Kicker is seizing, get rid of it.

#3 you need to grind the paint off of your ground connections

I don't know if 2 different subs is better than 1. I'd set the kicker/boss combo aside and focus on the JL. It needs to be in the right box. I think you'll be happier spending some money on the box now rather than tinkering with all this mismatched gear. Worst case scenario is that you spend money on the box and then have to spend money on a new amp. Better than buying everything new.

I've never seen such a crappy install. I have a few questions for the OP...

1. What type of vehicle do you own? What is the size of the current battery in it? Do you know how much amperage your stock alternator is outputting?

2. Do you know what happens when you add a second battery to a vehicle in terms of amperage draw?

3. Why did you mix subs and, more importantly, why oh why did you use a Boss amp??

4. Why are the amps mounted on the floor of the trunk instead of the back of the back seat or perhaps behind the sub box (if there is/are any) ?

5. Why are the subs inside the car cabin instead of being in the trunk?

6. Why did you put 30 amp fuses at the distribution block?

I'm sure that I've missed a bunch of questions (probably from the shock of that quality install...)

Can you post pictures of the wiring at the main battery? What kind of head unit are you using?what about the speakers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

subwoofers need to reflect and load off a solid wall to get better sound.
Then why are walls louder than most trunk setups with the same equipment??

1. What type of vehicle do you own? What is the size of the current battery in it? Do you know how much amperage your stock alternator is outputting?

2. Do you know what happens when you add a second battery to a vehicle in terms of amperage draw?

3. Why did you mix subs and, more importantly, why oh why did you use a Boss amp??

4. Why are the amps mounted on the floor of the trunk instead of the back of the back seat or perhaps behind the sub box (if there is/are any) ?

I'm sure that I've missed a bunch of questions (probably from the shock of that quality install...)

Can you post pictures of the wiring at the main battery? What kind of head unit are you using?what about the speakers?

Also missed this thread.

Whole lotta facepalm.

Pretty sure this thread is dead, but just in case the OP comes back:

Scrap the Kicker and Boss combo. Just run the JL on the Kenwood and be happy, or get some decent stuff. Also put that shit in the trunk or wall it correctly.

Didn't you see the video of that kid with the thunderbird or whatever it was and the cap he had in the back of the seat lol... This isn't that bad... He's just a noob looking for guidance... Give it a shot without being kock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're literally everything that is wrong in the world. Go f*ck yourself. Why the hell would you insult somebody like that and then try helping them? Your entire existence is a contradiction. I work 50+ hours a week for minimum wage while I study on my own time for a networking certification so I can have the slightest hope of getting somewhere with my life. I don't have thousands of dollars to pour into a f*cking sound system. I do it as a hobby with what little money I have. All I was asking was for some guidance on how to better my system without spending a lot of money. I'm not a mechanic, carpenter, or engineer. I'm a f*cking deli clerk. Oh, and as it turns out, I was right in my earlier post. I moved one to the trunk and left the other in the back seat. Now it bumps so hard my hair shakes. As for the 30 amp fuses, that's what came with the block. The subs were in the back seat because it's louder than the trunk. Don't tell me otherwise because I've tried it in both. It's f*cking not. I have the boss amp because I'm poor.

Don't think anyone needs to explain themselves and definitely no one needs to attack anyone else. @jb4674, if you're really trying to help...maybe you can do it in a way where someone wouldn't wanna knock you out. If you were really trying to be a d*ck, sorry to break it to you, but you're spitting in the ocean here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.