Help Designing my system

Participant count
  • Participant list

JasonJones

Let me start of by telling a little bit about my experience. I have been interested in systems for years and have always had something in my car. While I use to read the magazines and talk to all the stores when I was in HS, I have learned from hours of reading on here that I was rather ignorant. I always had pretty nice stuff, but my set-up was crap. Speakers were just thrown in stock location with a perfunctory job of sound deadening done. I also never realized how important building all your enclosures were, so that is a must now. About a month ago someone decided they needed my system more than I did, so now I have a clean slate to work with. Sadly, I ordered a bunch of stuff before spending so much time on here, so I am not sure what I should turn around and resell and what I should keep. I guess I will start with a list of what I purchased (I am not attached to anything and will sell things off), then talk about what I want to do, and then what all equipment I am thinking about using. The car I am working with is a ‘00 Accord coupe.

List of purchased equipment:

Head: Alpine CDA-9887

Amps: JL 300/4 and 250/1

Sub: JL 12w3v3-4

Already Owned: Focal Access 165A, Infinity Kappa 6x9

So I would like to build a decent SQ system, however I thoroughly enjoy my bass and so that will be built more for performance than strict SQ. I am a person who thoroughly enjoys building and modifying things. I also have more tools than most people will ever need, thanks to a dad who spent a lifetime building cars.

So my thought is an active system with a pair of components in the kick panels, a set of mid bass drivers in the door, and a sub, pretty standard.

Here is what I have come up with in my head to do. Keep the 9887 head. Run Diamond Audio Hex 6.5s for the comps. Change the sub to a 12w6 powered by a JL 500/1 built in a ported box to JL specs. Keep the 300/4 to power the comps. I am not sure what mid bass drivers I should run or what amp I should use to power them.

Questions

1. I have a JL e1200 lying around that I was thinking I could use to power one and just pick up another one to power the other, they are cheap on ebay, or should I buy a different amp to run them?

2. What would be a good crossover to run, or do I really need one with the tuning capabilities of this head unit, I don’t know that much about it yet?

3. What other things will I need and please make recommendations? (Cap, alt upgrades, etc…)

4. Will one 4ag power wire running to the back be sufficient or should I install a second?

I am trying not to break the bank doing this and I am looking to keep the budget to around 3000.

Let me start of by telling a little bit about my experience. I have been interested in systems for years and have always had something in my car. While I use to read the magazines and talk to all the stores when I was in HS, I have learned from hours of reading on here that I was rather ignorant. I always had pretty nice stuff, but my set-up was crap. Speakers were just thrown in stock location with a perfunctory job of sound deadening done. I also never realized how important building all your enclosures were, so that is a must now. About a month ago someone decided they needed my system more than I did, so now I have a clean slate to work with. Sadly, I ordered a bunch of stuff before spending so much time on here, so I am not sure what I should turn around and resell and what I should keep. I guess I will start with a list of what I purchased (I am not attached to anything and will sell things off), then talk about what I want to do, and then what all equipment I am thinking about using. The car I am working with is a ‘00 Accord coupe.
List of purchased equipment:

Head: Alpine CDA-9887

Amps: JL 300/4 and 250/1

Sub: JL 12w3v3-4

Already Owned: Focal Access 165A, Infinity Kappa 6x9

So I would like to build a decent SQ system, however I thoroughly enjoy my bass and so that will be built more for performance than strict SQ. I am a person who thoroughly enjoys building and modifying things. I also have more tools than most people will ever need, thanks to a dad who spent a lifetime building cars.

So my thought is an active system with a pair of components in the kick panels, a set of mid bass drivers in the door, and a sub, pretty standard.

Here is what I have come up with in my head to do. Keep the 9887 head. Run Diamond Audio Hex 6.5s for the comps. Change the sub to a 12w6 powered by a JL 500/1 built in a ported box to JL specs. Keep the 300/4 to power the comps. I am not sure what mid bass drivers I should run or what amp I should use to power them.

Questions

1. I have a JL e1200 lying around that I was thinking I could use to power one and just pick up another one to power the other, they are cheap on ebay, or should I buy a different amp to run them?

2. What would be a good crossover to run, or do I really need one with the tuning capabilities of this head unit, I don’t know that much about it yet?

3. What other things will I need and please make recommendations? (Cap, alt upgrades, etc…)

4. Will one 4ag power wire running to the back be sufficient or should I install a second?

I am trying not to break the bank doing this and I am looking to keep the budget to around 3000.
Thats a long post. Take pics when you do it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.