Help cooling my amps in my installation.

Participant count
  • Participant list

pimpingiraffe
10+ year member

Michigan
I have a 95 Chevy S10 Extended Cab truck. I'll be putting an e12a that i have in the rec. ported box in the rear, and i'm going to be raising the floor in the back about 3 inches. I plan on mounting my amplifiers (JBL bp 600.1 for sub and 80.2 for components in front) under this floor. One side may have a plexi window to show off an amp, but I doubt I will do that at this point.

My issue with that setup, with them under this false floor is cooling. How am I going to keep these amps cool so they dont overheat etc? I've been told fans, but what kind of fans, and how do I set them up to be powered?

I'm hoping this false floor will turn out good, so I can hide things better, and they would be less likely to be stolen. If I do the plexi, that would look rather nice also. But the main issue here is cooling, what should I do, if I need to do anything at all.

Any ideas/Suggestions or Problems with my idea? Please let me know asap I want this to be set up as best as possible.

-ET

Use some fans like this.. they move a lot more air then reg. pc fans..

STISF3.jpg

Some Found Here.. http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/STISF3

I would place a couple on either side of the amp.. and have it circulate through the floor ( 3" Constructed one ) & up into the cabin area.. kind of like this.. ..Ps.. Sorry for the 2nd grade art.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Red = Sub Box

Green = Amp

Blue = Floor

Purple = Fans

Brown = Air Flow

Please, could you tell me where I could get some fans such as these, and how much they would set me back? Also anything special I need to know about wiring them?

-ET

Use some fans like this.. they move a lot more air then reg. pc fans..

STISF3.jpg

Some Found Here.. http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/STISF3

I would place a couple on either side of the amp.. and have it circulate through the floor ( 3" Constructed one ) & Up into cabin.. kind of like this.. ..Ps.. Sorry for the 2nd grade art.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Red = Sub Box

Green = Amp

Blue = Floor

Purple = Fans

Brown = Air Flow

SORRY For The Double Post.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif

I forgot Computers were the same current as cars. I have about 10 92mm high cfm fans that i can put in there. Do I just run a wire with a fuse from my battery back to the fans, and then ground the fans on the chassis, or run a ground back to the battery? Thanks So much

-ET

jus run a small power wire to a relay that is triggered by the remote wire to the amp.....and ground it to the chassis or make a common ground for them...

Could you possibley draw a small diagram of what that will consist of, and where can I get one of these parts? Radio Shack? What exactly do I call itw hen I ask for one.

-ET

Originally posted by pimpingiraffe I forgot Computers were the same current as cars. I have about 10 92mm high cfm fans that i can put in there. Do I just run a wire with a fuse from my battery back to the fans, and then ground the fans on the chassis, or run a ground back to the battery? Thanks So much

-ET
Make sure it's a brushless fan. (it should say in the middle of the fan, motor area) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You don't want to use high cfm fans, if it has high air turbulent noise. Don't use delta fans.. try Zalman with the resistor module attached. You dont' need a whole lot of air moving, so long as it's circulating well..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.