Help choosing an amp on a beginner setup

Dj45

CarAudio.com Newbie
PA
I recently purchased 2 american bass hd12 to throw in my 05 suburban. Looking for an amp to get something out of them on my stock alternator until i can get a few more dollars to get a box made. Was looking at the audiopipe amn2000 or the skar 2000.

I recently purchased 2 american bass hd12 to throw in my 05 suburban. Looking for an amp to get something out of them on my stock alternator until i can get a few more dollars to get a box made. Was looking at the audiopipe amn2000 or the skar 2000.
A Taramps Smart 3K will get them moving. Which voice coils have you got on those HD's? A Taramps MD5K would be better, but you might need electrical upgrades.

Md5k on relatively low gain will get you some movement. Buying a small
Amp to get by will be a waste as you won’t recoup your investment. Maybe a used amp or something. Big 3 electrical upgrade and power wire with 1/0
Is a minimum. Maybe try to grab a used agm off letgo for the rear. Not really a “money saving”
Strategy but you went big with those woofers

A beginner setup is not HD12's. What box do you have for them? What is your mid/highs setup and amp? Which headunit? If you go with a 5K, then, just like Cotrell said. 1/0 big three and a nice AGM at minimum. You still might see some dimming. Which dual voice coils are the HD's?

They are dual 1ohm. Dont have a box yet, going to have one built as soon as have everything to run them. Going to order some cable this week. Definitely going to do the 1/0 with big 3. My head unit is an pioneer avh390 i believe its a few years old and i have 4 rockford punch coax in the doors. The subs i have now are 2 xmax 15 in sealed box with an alpine 500. I definitely wouldnt mind going bigger on the amp just going to take longer to get the loot. Thanks

The Taramps smart 3 is only about $40 higher than the Skar 2000. You could get one of those. and later on if you decided you needed more, you could simply buy a second smart 3 and run one to each sub.

Do you mean ID Max as in Image Dynamics or is the name literally Xmax?

Nevermind, saw your other post that they are PG’s

Last edited:
They are dual 1ohm. Dont have a box yet, going to have one built as soon as have everything to run them. Going to order some cable this week. Definitely going to do the 1/0 with big 3. My head unit is an pioneer avh390 i believe its a few years old and i have 4 rockford punch coax in the doors. The subs i have now are 2 xmax 15 in sealed box with an alpine 500. I definitely wouldnt mind going bigger on the amp just going to take longer to get the loot. Thanks

so sorry to hate but the way you casually say wouldn’t mind going bigger indicates that your grasp of substage is lacking. takes amplifier power to push subs which takes electrical current to create that Amp power. You are quite underpowered in your current sub arrangement So Why did you make the Move to HD’s? Unless you got the subs for some magical discount A move to xfl’s for example would have saved you likely $150 per sub and given you a budget to get an amp(like that smart 3). And with a little more electrical solidification like big 3 and agm batteries you give your suburban a Fighting chance to give your subs acceptable power on average electrical.Instead you have big A$$ subs that will require big budget everything to power effectively. Can you return the subs?

i'd say run the HDs on that alpine, build an efficient ported box and you'll be surprised what a good box can do on 500 watts.

single 12 on 500... you have two 15s or two beefy 12s. I'd say build a proper ported box for your 15s or the 12s before doing anything. If you can get loud on low power, then I'd say proceed to buying a new amp. Because if you fk up on the box building stage, there's no hope for the setup at all no matter what gear you choose or buy.

I know that the HD will take lots of power but got them both for a good price 2nd hand. I heard them compared to my 15's and was hooked. I know i got a good ways to go before i am ready to install, just try to get a general direction before i do. Got both subs a little over a yr old and a qbomb dox for $340. Looking for someone locally to build my box i live in the stix so i may end up building it myself. I only inquired about the AP amp because thats what he ran them on, and they sounded pretty good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.