Help choosing $100 Sub - Sun Audio, JL, or Image Dyanamics

cgfcgf

After 11 years I finally blew out my JL Audio 10" sub (10W3 D2). Dual Voicecoil

Amp power will be 150 rms

Used in Sealed JL Audio ProWedge Box 10"

It will be used in a SUV in the cargo area.

I dial my systems in for SQ not boomy loud. Examples of what I'll listen to Primus, Steely Dan, Sting, Robert Plant, U2, Peter Gabriel, Sum 41, Phil Collins for example.

I'm kind of limiting myself to around $100 because of budget. Here are my current choices. Any help or advice will be a help.

Sundown Audio - ED10-4 - $104.99 shipped

JL Audio - 10W1v2 - $109.99 shipped

Image Dynamics - CTX104 - $89.99 shipped

All at woofersetc

I understand these are all their entry level products for the most part but I've read good things on all of them (I really trust the JL after 11 years of solid use - should I cheat on them?).

You have very little power and only 10 inch cone to work with in a sealed box. Try to find a subwoofer with good sensitivity. Usually, subwoofers with massive power handling, voice coils, and mile-long xmax will not get you there. My top pick would be the Peerless XXLS (not XLS) as they are ranked as some of the best subwoofers for SQ at any price. They're rated for 175watts RMS which is perfect for your setup (though you could run a bit more to them, but not by much). This one a little out of your budget though. Another subwoofer to look into is Dayton Reference HF10 (the 4ohm SVC version). These also have good sound quality and sensitivity. Peerless and Dayton Reference had been tested on Klippel with good results regarding low distortion, etc. If you want to go cheaper look into the Infinity Reference. These are cheap and I hear not bad for the money, with good sensitivity.

I agree with the DCON advice not going to go wrong there. Also if I were you I would find a 10" sundown SA10 or skar vvx-10 on the sale forums.

Smart choice. You can't really go wrong with the Dcon's. Check out the reviews. All 5 stars on all of them. Kid I used to work with has a couple 12's in a custom box. He's loud! He's giving them 400 a piece or so and they not only take it like champs they're also one of those subwoofers that sound better the louder you go. Just my opinion and my 2 cents.

I agree with the DCON advice not going to go wrong there. Also if I were you I would find a 10" sundown SA10 or skar vvx-10 on the sale forums.
With only 150watts of power and in sealed box??

With only 150watts of power and in sealed box??
Your right, I was posting late last night while pming another member and drinking. And nuthugging.

Luckily everyone had already given him the right answer. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/celebrate.gif.82eef51c49c9919296cb60fd0d148863.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.