Help A Newb Out!

Zachatk

NY
Hey,

I'm only 14 so I don't have to much knowledge in this type of stuff. When I get older, I may end up driving my moms volvo. I want a little more bang with the bass so I check out this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8761146&type=product&id=1202650467422

I have no clue if this is a good deal or what. I know I need an amp so I just looked at this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9230977&type=product&id=1218063832403

Would this combo work? Sorry if it's a stupid question, like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing. All I want to do is stick it in the back, hook the amp up and get it going, do I need professional installation? Also, what kind of cables am I gonna need. The volvo is a 04 XC70. I believe the sub out is the 20A or whatever. How do I hook that up to that amp?

So as you can see I have no clue what I'm doing. Please offer me suggestions, I'm open to anything.

Thanks.

since you are obviously young and im sure on a tight budget.

that combo will work and if you do some research its fairly easy to install yourself, by no means do you have to get a proffesional install

as far as wiring goes....its nothing special really. you will need to run a power wire from the battery to the amp with atleast a 100a inline fuse for protection

you will also need to ground the amp out on the car's chasis. since that combo is not much power a 4 guage wiring on power and grounds should work perfectly. if you dont have a aftermarket head unit getting one is probably a good idea. stock units are a pain in the ass. once getting the aftermarket head unit you will need to run some rca's from head unit to amp. that will give you the audio signal. also will need to run a remote from head unit to amplifier that way it will shut off and on when its suppose to. like i said, do some research and you should be able to do it yourself easily

Ok that's what I thought. Money wise, I don't want to spend a fortune on something like this, I don't need to.

Another question, I listen to rock and metal type stuff. Would buying a sub be worth this type of music. From what I've seen, the only thing playing when people are using large setups and subs is rap.

Well id say get a new HU for sure. Read some of the How To threads on here and learn how to do a sub/amp install. You can get a cheap 4AWG wire kit and that should work for 600RMS maybe 1krms but idk on that for sure. Search the classifieds as people always have quality equipment for sale for the same price there selling the rockford subs. If your on a budget i know everyone hates them but get a prefab. usually craigslist has someone selling there ****. We need budget limits to help you out more

Might you have any carpentry skills?

It's completely feasible to build your own box and put your own speakers in it. You end up much cheaper in the end for a bit of work.

Best Buy is likely the most expensive place to buy something like this.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com is very reasonable

Pre-built enclosures can be found at

Try this:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7564_Sonic+Sub+Box-+1SL10-1.0+-GRAY+CARPET-.html

Add this:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_19638_JL+Audio+10W0v2-4.html

Connected through this:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11877_MTX+Audio+Terminator+TN250-1.html

I just saved you some money.

I listen to a LOT of different music and I've found that a small sealed box with a single 10" is sufficient. dual 12"s - is a LOT.

Generally speaking you should tune your system so that you barely notice the sub at "mom" levels (that is the volume level when she is riding in the car). When the music gets loud it'll have enough punch. Folks generally crank the low end up WAYYYY too much.

However, if you've got just the stock setup - number one priority (at least for me LOL) - replace the stock speakers first. You'll find that just doing that will make the system sound much, much, better and louder with clearer highs and deeper bass.

I thought about having the 2 12" subs and figured I really don't need something like that. The 10' sub is enough and is a lot cheaper so I think I'll go with that.

Yes, the speakers are stock, so I probably should upgrade those. What kind of speakers should I look into, here's the sizes (according to sonicelectronix):

* Front: 6-3/4"

* Rear: 5-1/4", 6" x 9"

* Front door: 6-3/4"

* Back door: 5-1/4"

* Rear deck: 6" x 9"

Would replacing the speakers require prof. installation? I think I could probably do it myself.

I don't think I'll have a problem installing the sub, the speakers may be a different story. I'm still not sure if I need to replace the speakers, they aren't to bad.

I don't think I'll have a problem installing the sub, the speakers may be a different story. I'm still not sure if I need to replace the speakers, they aren't to bad.
door and deck speakers are easy, most cars have the female ends on the wires alrready. if not, postive to positve on speaker, neg to neg on speaker.

if i rember right the speakers on the back say (+) (-) so dont forget to look on the back of the speaker befor takeing wires off

How are the factory speakers in that car? It's a newer Volvo, I'd bet they are decent...

The stock speakers in my dad's '03 LS were great on highs, just needed that low end punch from a sub. If the factory speaks in that Volvo are similar I'd just throw a 10" or a 12" in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.