help a complete audio n00b!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

fade

hello y'all, im gonna need some expert advice from you guys since i am completely dumbfounded by all these ohms and amps and etc.

i was working on a friend's hyundai 2001 xg300, which comes with a cd unit and 6 speakers (two 6x9s, two 6.5s, and two tweeters). however, he wanted to use his ipod, his options were to buy another oem headunit with a tape deck or a fm modulator. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

since the fm modulator would require tapping into an electrical source/mounting, i decided that a direct oem replacement would be easier.

so we bought a cd/tape deck from a 2004 xg350, and added it in. however, this came from a "premium audio" system with infinity components with an external amp. so it sounds like crap in my friend's non premium system. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

so the ohms and amps were different.

original unit - 4ohms, 10amps

new unit - 2ohms, 5amps

now is there a way to salvage the new unit? is it possible to run a 2ohm unit with 4ohm speakers? would adding an external amp solve this problem? if so, what do you recommend to run a stock system with dismal speakers (which are 40watts max).

or should we just buy a fm modulator //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

i hope that made sense. thanks guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

i thought the fm modulators were just plug and play.
if your friend has the money he could buy an aftermarket cd player that allows you to hook up the ipod and control the ipod through the hu.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rFad3hzAxLE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=130CDIB100&search=pioneer+ipod

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rFad3hzAxLE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?wm=fp&I=130DEHP770
i guess they are sort of plug and play, im not not familiar to tapping into a 12v source/mounting.

an aftermarket deck would be nice but a kit would have to be fabricated for anything aftermarket to fit. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

well my friend had an fm adapter that just plugged into the ipod and sent the signal through his fm radio. there was nothing to install and nothing to mount.

well my friend had an fm adapter that just plugged into the ipod and sent the signal through his fm radio. there was nothing to install and nothing to mount.
oh thats because thos are fm transmitters, not modulators. modulators hook up directly into the antenna line //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

ok. sorry about that. is a transmitter not good enough for your friend?? that would be the easiest way.

a lil off topic but...

when i was 16 my father modified my mothers factory radio to accept a aux in.

there was this round plug thing on the back of the radio. somehow with a dmm he figured out a way to make it work.

we made a custom plug that fit in the back of the radio out of epoxy.

we had to mount a switch to activate it but it worked perfectly.

i dont know exactly how my father figured out which pins to use but this could be an option for you.

i guess they are sort of plug and play, im not not familiar to tapping into a 12v source/mounting.
an aftermarket deck would be nice but a kit would have to be fabricated for anything aftermarket to fit. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Why would you have to fabricate?? and aftermarket deck should just slide in.

ok. sorry about that. is a transmitter not good enough for your friend?? that would be the easiest way.
a lil off topic but...

when i was 16 my father modified my mothers factory radio to accept a aux in.

there was this round plug thing on the back of the radio. somehow with a dmm he figured out a way to make it work.

we made a custom plug that fit in the back of the radio out of epoxy.

we had to mount a switch to activate it but it worked perfectly.

i dont know exactly how my father figured out which pins to use but this could be an option for you.

too many radio stations in LA //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif its hard to find a station without interference.

yea i thought about modifying the 8-pin input but it seems a bit too difficult for me. hyudai made their things way too complicated

Alright, lemme school ya on somethin. The ohms at which the electrical signal for music flows through has nothing to do with the SQ.

The HU does not operate at a certain resistance(ohms), that is all dependant on the resistors it is hooked up to, in this case, the resistors are the coils from the speakers.

Now for questions

How do you know the premium receiver only pulls 5A? I imagine it said it on there somewhere. What are the power ratings for each channel @ 2ohms?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.