Hello, I'm new here and (Hoping for some advice)...

So, this will be my first car audio system and I've become quite obsessed with it!! I am a bit of a newbie to the car audio world, but I'm learning. I am not interested in sloppy, panel rattling bass, I am trying to put together a system with a clean, clear, crisp, tight, quality sound that you can feel!! Like a really good surround sound system. I pretty much listen to everything, but mostly Rock/metal. So I want a system that I can enjoy on any given day no matter what my taste that day in music may be, whether it be a country song or the awesome rumble from a Metallica solo!! Ok so, I have a 2001 Durango and my idea is this- A Pioneer DEH-3200UB head unit which I have, just not installed yet, upgrading my doors to Pioneer 2 way-TS-A1605C 6.5 components for the front doors, Pioneer TS-A1684R 6.5 4 way coaxials for the rear doors, and 2- JL Audio 8" w6 series subs in separate sealed boxes, or a custom box to down fire on backseat floor, with a 5 channel amp- (not sure which amp to go with yet)-to run it all. And I was thinking about throwing 1 12" sub in the back powered by an amp of its own. Possibly a JL Audio 12" or a Alpine Type-R. In my mind this set up seems perfect! I have heard that there's certain highs and lows that 12" subs have trouble with, so in theory the two 8" subs will back it up and ultimately create amazing quality sounding music.... right? So if anyone can give me some advice or better idea's it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

I would say the 8's could go in sealed for good midbass. Put the 12 in a ported @35-37hz though, trust me. I listen to mostly metal and always ran sealed until I was convinced to go ported. I'll never look back. The jl's are great Sq subs. What's your budget as far as amps? You're going to need to upgrade your electrical for sure and that is essential.

Thanks for the response. So yeah, everyone I've talked to say sealed enclosures, but I am for sure going to try your ported suggestion! As far as an amp budget.. I really don't want to spend more than $250. I know you get what you pay for, however there are exceptions to every rule. There are a few I've been thinking about- Planet Audio ACI800 1800w, 210wX4 channel 5 channel- $140, or Power Acoustik BAMF4500 4500w, 200wX4 channel 5 channel- $180, or Crunch Power one P1-50505 1000w 125wX4channel, 5 channel- $150... These are all from online stores through Amazon. I've been hoping to find a decent one on Craigslist but no luck so far. Any budget amps you could suggest?

Thanks for the response. So yeah, everyone I've talked to say sealed enclosures, but I am for sure going to try your ported suggestion! As far as an amp budget.. I really don't want to spend more than $250. I know you get what you pay for, however there are exceptions to every rule. There are a few I've been thinking about- Planet Audio ACI800 1800w, 210wX4 channel 5 channel- $140, or Power Acoustik BAMF4500 4500w, 200wX4 channel 5 channel- $180, or Crunch Power one P1-50505 1000w 125wX4channel, 5 channel- $150... These are all from online stores through Amazon. I've been hoping to find a decent one on Craigslist but no luck so far. Any budget amps you could suggest?
I honestly can't recommend any of those at all. They are all garbage. It would be sinful to throw some jl's on one of those. To run the kinda juice, you're going to need to save up. Don't waste your money on any of those.

Let's look at the comps and coaxials (the rear fill only needs a 2way) first. They are 60 and 50 rms respectively. You should go with a 4 channel that's 50-75rms per channel. Next you have the 2 8's. Not sure the rms on those, but you'll need a 2 channel there. The sub is going to need a mono block that's roughly 800rms. There are so many too choose from that are good. Look in the amp classifieds here and see what you'll need to spend for used.

You would be wasting your money running the 8 inch w6 SUBS just as mid bass. Thats not what theyre made for and are quite expensive. You can save money and get actual 8 inch mid bass speakers and run a 10 or 12 SSA Gcon in a custom ported box. Don't get a prefab box please, waste of money and sound horrible.

Also don't mix 2 different size subs or brand of subs.

Than you for the advice, I have some of the equipment and the rest I'm still trying to figure out. So every little bit of feedback is a big help! I know I'm going to have to spend money if I want a good system, so I don't need to be wasting money for sure. Thanks again

Before spending money on amps and speakers, first ask yourself how much power you want to run. First find out what size alternator your vehicle has and determine how much you can run before you need a bigger one. Then determine equipment.

So, this will be my first car audio system and I've become quite obsessed with it!! I am a bit of a newbie to the car audio world, but I'm learning. I am not interested in sloppy, panel rattling bass, I am trying to put together a system with a clean, clear, crisp, tight, quality sound that you can feel!! Like a really good surround sound system. I pretty much listen to everything, but mostly Rock/metal. So I want a system that I can enjoy on any given day no matter what my taste that day in music may be, whether it be a country song or the awesome rumble from a Metallica solo!! Ok so, I have a 2001 Durango and my idea is this- A Pioneer DEH-3200UB head unit which I have, just not installed yet, upgrading my doors to Pioneer 2 way-TS-A1605C 6.5 components for the front doors, Pioneer TS-A1684R 6.5 4 way coaxials for the rear doors, and 2- JL Audio 8" w6 series subs in separate sealed boxes, or a custom box to down fire on backseat floor, with a 5 channel amp- (not sure which amp to go with yet)-to run it all. And I was thinking about throwing 1 12" sub in the back powered by an amp of its own. Possibly a JL Audio 12" or a Alpine Type-R. In my mind this set up seems perfect! I have heard that there's certain highs and lows that 12" subs have trouble with, so in theory the two 8" subs will back it up and ultimately create amazing quality sounding music.... right? So if anyone can give me some advice or better idea's it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks
you are completely wrong. there is a thing called cancellation where sound waves fight eachother and cancel eachother out. That is what happens when you have 2 different brand and different sized subs in the same car and not firing the same way. Subs need to be same sized, same brand, same type of enclosure and shooting the same way or else it will sound like utter SH*T.

You want a sub to hit clean and fast? you need a proper enclosure design along with good clean power. cheaping out on power = underpowered sub = sloppy sub.

Also dont fall prey to the myth that different sub sizes sound different or that smaller subs are better on fast beats then the other. Thats a myth and its dependent on the quality of the woofer along with enclosure size and power.

Just get 2 good 12s in a proper ported box tuned a lil higher.

You waste your money on JLs and cheap out on power? should be the opposite way around man.

You might want to look to get a sound quality head unit too. It'll help immensely because if you have a trunk, most likely you'll have time alignment issues with the sub lagging behind purely due to just having a trunk. Look for a head unit that has time alignment and 24 bit sound processors. Speakers are nothing without a good sounding headunit. I've had a pioneer 4200 ub(same generation as yours but higher model) before and it sounded like utter crap compared to my 80 prs.

You might want to start with a budget so people know what's in your price range, because this addiction will take control of your life and wallet for years to come. Good luck getting into car audio rehab.

Thought I read initially that you already have the 8's? That's why I recommended running them as midbass. Like Jeff said, you don't want to mix sub sizes.

Than you for the advice, I have some of the equipment and the rest I'm still trying to figure out. So every little bit of feedback is a big help! I know I'm going to have to spend money if I want a good system, so I don't need to be wasting money for sure. Thanks again
List what you already have.

My friend has two jl 10s in a sealed box under his seat and they sound really good. idk what type they are I think w3 or something (idk if that's even a sub I don't follow jl). I think if you are just looking for bass then you'd be happy with that set up. running on like 800 watts or so.

Ok, so after some buying/selling and swapping, I have a 12" Type R 1222D, Type R SPR-60c component's, TMA 850w amp, a 4 channel audio planet amp and the same crappy Pioneer head unit. I am try to get my hands on a 3-preout Alpine, and I'm contemplating swaping out the Type R 1222D for two Type R 12D2's. though I would like to keep it all Alpine, I don't think Alpine makes 3 or 4 way coaxials. So, I'm considering going with a couple Pioneer 4 way coaxials for the rear doors. Thoughts?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.