Head Units with hard drives???

Krazykilroy
10+ year member

So a few years back I used to date a woman with a Dodge, and the stock radio had a hard drive where she can store her music, etc..

So I'm here thinking that I can take out the HD, and replace it with one with a larger space.

But are there any aftermarket head units with Hard drive space?? Just wondering...

Just thinking how would we get the hd to run off 12v?
Laptop HDDs
Oh wait heres an idea. 160Gb iPod.
This is the better idea though, and they are even upgradeable with a new ziff adapter and HDD you can go upwards of about 500g on tiny HDDs that fit in an ipod. Then, you aren't limited to your music only in the car.

Just thinking how would we get the hd to run off 12v?
the hard drive doesn't plug into anything but the usb on the HU. when you turn on the HU the usb puts power to the HDD. you just have to get an external hard drive with a 2.5" drive in it. something like this Newegg.com - Western Digital Elements SE 1TB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive would be perfect and by the time you need to upgrade the space you will probably be able to get 5+TB hard drives for the price of this one now.

Wont a normal hard drive get damage when driving around? I would thinkyou you would need a Solid State Drive. And you can get cables for them so they hook up just by the USB. I was thinking about doing this for my truck. Either that or a thumb drive or SD cards.

Wont a normal hard drive get damage when driving around? I would thinkyou you would need a Solid State Drive. And you can get cables for them so they hook up just by the USB. I was thinking about doing this for my truck. Either that or a thumb drive or SD cards.
iPods are normal HDDs and people bounce them all over the place. Most HDDs have a 'buffer' inside them and protective cases you can get that will absorb some of the vibration. As long as the needle doesn't actually touch the drive tape, it's all good. SS drives are by far the best means of storage on the market today, but they are still exponentially cheaper per MB of storage comparative to conventional drives. USB flash drives are the exception, until you hit about 30GB

damage is possible but if mounted properly less likely (unless you do some serious off roading). you obviously wouldnt want to just toss it in the glove box. if he wants to spend the money SSD is definitely the way to go both for speed of access as well as damage, on the flip side though a lot of SSDs are known for randomly crapping out for no reason. i am a network admin and wouldnt even consider putting an SSD in my machines right now, i just dont feel like the tech is there to make them reliable enough versus the crazy cost. It would also depend a lot on his capacity requirements, SSDs are only so big right now. Could go flash drive but they again how much capacity does he want?

Ipods and external players are ok, but I wish to control the music through the head unit itself, not through the player. Half the time, when a Head unit is playing an Ipod, all the HU says is "MP3 playing" I would want name titles and everything.

iPods are normal HDDs and people bounce them all over the place. Most HDDs have a 'buffer' inside them and protective cases you can get that will absorb some of the vibration. As long as the needle doesn't actually touch the drive tape, it's all good. SS drives are by far the best means of storage on the market today, but they are still exponentially cheaper per MB of storage comparative to conventional drives. USB flash drives are the exception, until you hit about 30GB
iPods arent normal HDD"s. They are flash. Similar to a thumb drive.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Ipods and external players are ok, but I wish to control the music through the head unit itself, not through the player. Half the time, when a Head unit is playing an Ipod, all the HU says is "MP3 playing" I would want name titles and everything.
You can control an iPod from the HU and it will display songs, albums, and titles. The only way this doesnt work is if it is through the aux input. If you get an iPod compatible headunit there is no issue.

iPods arent normal HDD"s. They are flash. Similar to a thumb drive. 

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

You can control an iPod from the HU and it will display songs, albums, and titles. The only way this doesnt work is if it is through the aux input. If you get an iPod compatible headunit there is no issue.
not the classics, They will also freeze solid if you leave them outside.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.