Head unit suggestions for 3 way active + 2 subs setup

DanClark

CarAudio.com Newbie
Looking for some help on choosing a head unit. I am building a system in a large SUV that will have 3 way active component speakers in the front and two 18” subs in the rear. I need to be able to time align with dsp to do the active setup on my 3 way component speakers. I do not need any video media stuff nor do I need gps. Just a good double din that can run my 3 way active set up and subs. I want the best dac I can get in a head unit. Any suggestions?

Looking for some help on choosing a head unit. I am building a system in a large SUV that will have 3 way active component speakers in the front and two 18” subs in the rear. I need to be able to time align with dsp to do the active setup on my 3 way component speakers. I do not need any video media stuff nor do I need gps. Just a good double din that can run my 3 way active set up and subs. I want the best dac I can get in a head unit. Any suggestions?

Three way active is almost pointless with 2 - 18's IMO. The midbass will almost be non-existent and unnecessary. Go with a good active 2 way setup and it will open up your HU choices.

Three way active is almost pointless with 2 - 18's IMO. The midbass will almost be non-existent and unnecessary. Go with a good active 2 way setup and it will open up your HU choices.

Lol this is why I said our listening styles were totally different in that other thread. No midbass would drive me bonkers. I love my little (what you called home audio subwoofers) in my doors.

BUT you are right he will not have enough midbass to keep up with 2 18s with just a simple 3 way setup.

Well, I'm running a hertz 3-way and 1 18" sub(soon to be a pair, as soon as this damn lumber shows up. ******* hurricane). I don't know of any headunits that are 3 way active + sub. Even the P99 is only 3 way active.

You need a DSP, or you need an active capable stage amp.

Matt

Lol this is why I said our listening styles were totally different in that other thread. No midbass would drive me bonkers. I love my little (what you called home audio subwoofers) in my doors.

BUT you are right he will not have enough midbass to keep up with 2 18s with just a simple 3 way setup.

What would a system sound like if you just ran the Silver Flutes midbass and the Pioneer Pro's (up to 18 khz.)? No tweeters.

What would a system sound like if you just ran the Silver Flutes midbass and the Pioneer Pro's (up to 18 khz.)? No tweeters.

Over bearingly loud midrange with a likely a muddy upper range I don't believe for a moment those pioneers should be played past 8khz

You could cross the flutes at say 250hz low pass and bandpass the pioneers 250-8k but the pioneers would overpower the silverflutes.

Midbass at extreme volume would take several thousand watts across multiple drivers.

Most builders rather use midrange drivers and let the subs play up to the midranges cross over point.

I just don't care to do that since it draws my sound stage rearward. This is due to the fact that the high frequency you get the better your ears are at detecting the direction the sound is coming from. My subs usually cross in the 50-65hz range

The makes them quieter overall at least to the ear because they aren't playing frequencies that your ear can detect directionally.

Just different play styles. I can still let my subs get loud and they will drown out the midbass like anything else but I'm usually more balanced that that.

Well, I'm running a hertz 3-way and 1 18" sub(soon to be a pair, as soon as this damn lumber shows up. ******* hurricane). I don't know of any headunits that are 3 way active + sub. Even the P99 is only 3 way active.

You need a DSP, or you need an active capable stage amp.

Matt

Your running the mille mids aren't you?

Over bearingly loud midrange with a likely a muddy upper range I don't believe for a moment those pioneers should be played past 8khz

You could cross the flutes at say 250hz low pass and bandpass the pioneers 250-8k but the pioneers would overpower the silverflutes.

Midbass at extreme volume would take several thousand watts across multiple drivers.

Most builders rather use midrange drivers and let the subs play up to the midranges cross over point.

I just don't care to do that since it draws my sound stage rearward. This is due to the fact that the high frequency you get the better your ears are at detecting the direction the sound is coming from. My subs usually cross in the 50-65hz range

The makes them quieter overall at least to the ear because they aren't playing frequencies that your ear can detect directionally.

Just different play styles. I can still let my subs get loud and they will drown out the midbass like anything else but I'm usually more balanced that that.

My subs (8's) are crossed over a 70hz. on my HU. Why does everybody want specs of a speaker and then they doubt the specs? The Pioneer Pro's play very high. I'm guessing very close to 18Khz. Would a system sound good without the ear piercing tweeters? You know, the tweets that actually hurt your ears more than 160db's of bass does. A system with a range of 25hz- 18khz.

My subs (8's) are crossed over a 70hz. on my HU. Why does everybody want specs of a speaker and then they doubt the specs? The Pioneer Pro's play very high. I'm guessing very close to 18Khz. Would a system sound good without the ear piercing tweeters? You know, the tweets that actually hurt your ears more than 160db's of bass does. A system with a range of 25hz- 18khz.

You are thinking manufacturers are honest. They can be at time and sure that speaker can likely play that high. But how good it sounds up that high is questionable. Until I see a frequency response graph I don't car about the makers frequency range.

And most of these new pro audio drivers are being sold in mass to young guys who literally don't even have a clue about sq and just want loud.

As far as ear piercing tweets? Mine have never been ear piercing. I had a set of Memphis mcc6 with a magnesium dome tweet that had some harshness but some simple eq fixed that.

Super tweeters you couldn't pay me to install.

I'm curious about compression horns but you typically mount those low and I feel I would need to go 3 way with a high mounted mid to bring the sound stage up from the floor.

You are thinking manufacturers are honest. They can be at time and sure that speaker can likely play that high. But how good it sounds up that high is questionable. Until I see a frequency response graph I don't car about the makers frequency range.

And most of these new pro audio drivers are being sold in mass to young guys who literally don't even have a clue about sq and just want loud.

As far as ear piercing tweets? Mine have never been ear piercing. I had a set of Memphis mcc6 with a magnesium dome tweet that had some harshness but some simple eq fixed that.

Super tweeters you couldn't pay me to install.

I'm curious about compression horns but you typically mount those low and I feel I would need to go 3 way with a high mounted mid to bring the sound stage up from the floor.

The low mounted horns were in the best SQ setup that I've heard. It was in a 94 Impala SS. It sounded killer.

The low mounted horns were in the best SQ setup that I've heard. It was in a 94 Impala SS. It sounded killer.

So I've heard but Eric Stevens took them when he left Image dynamics and I don't think I have the room for them in my truck anyway since my seat sits so high. I think I'd hit my shins on them.

I had a pair of the old green frame id8s as midbass back in 09 and tried to fit the horn bodies but couldn't in that vehicle so I never bought the horn drivers themselves. Sold the bodies to somebody on here years ago. Lost the id8s in a storage unit that flooded. Lost a lot of gear to that storage unit.

So I've heard but Eric Stevens took them when he left Image dynamics and I don't think I have the room for them in my truck anyway since my seat sits so high. I think I'd hit my shins on them.

I had a pair of the old green frame id8s as midbass back in 09 and tried to fit the horn bodies but couldn't in that vehicle so I never bought the horn drivers themselves. Sold the bodies to somebody on here years ago. Lost the id8s in a storage unit that flooded. Lost a lot of gear to that storage unit.

I'm 5'11" tall and I was fine. I'm not sure which horns they were but they were on a different level. These mids/highs are as well. My friends mini van. He doesn't even have any subs yet. I don't see any tweeters.

I'm 5'11" tall and I was fine. I'm not sure which horns they were but they were on a different level. These mids/highs are as well. My friends mini van. He doesn't even have any subs yet. I don't see any tweeters.

You sit a little further back that me so you legs are more straight and gm trucks have a taller front set than Fords. My legs are probably much closer to the dash bottom than yours. But that was an old install over a decade ago. I've learned a lot since then.

Now I need to figure out my dsp and amps for my next build. I'm thinking a stereo integrity sqi 1500d and sqi 125.4

If the tweets would ever come in stock it like to try the stereo integrity m25 mkii too.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...