Head unit sounds tinny

Participant count
  • Participant list
What r u using for an amp? R u using the crossover on the amp or hu or both what speakers r u using have u tried a CD what's your max volume you're using what's your source volume set at. 

I think it's best to amp all your speakers. That radio doesn't clip at max volume on the rca s if the eq is flat or at a negative db.and not using the some of the settings in the special affects section of the hu. but the internal amp you might get 3/4 volume out of it b 4 it starts clipping the signal 

I applaud your efforts if I can't help you hopefully someone can 

Sorry, I was on a phone that wasn't wanting to let me spell anything correctly. Anyway, now I'm on my computer and can elaborate on the issue more. 

I have followed all the tips given by the first response and more, which include:

• Checking polarity
  • Ensuring proper grounds
  • Making sure speakers are not blown
  • Updating head unit firmware
  • Turning off all the in radio settings (Loudness, supreme, etc.)
  • Adjusting the EQ
  • Sound deadening the car doors
  • Installingfast rings
  • Tested a Kenwood amp on the front speakers (No difference was made)
  • Adjusting gain
  • Using different inputs
  • Factory resetting radio
  • Ensuring no crosstalk or interference between the wires is happening
  • Making sure Subwoofer box is sealed
  • Aligning tweeters with my head (off-axis by about 20 degrees)
  • Adjusting time alignment
  • adjusting crossover
  • adjusting fader
  • adjusting levels for speakers
  • Turning down gain for tweeters/mid
I've done more but this is all I can remember off the top of my head. The sound I'm hearing seems to be just tinny and nasty. Voices are clear and when its just vocals, it sounds amazing. However, when instruments are mixed in, it starts to sound muffled and hard to distinctively identify each instrument. I'm not sure, but using an RTA on my phone, it looked like ~1k range is where things are extremely harsh and hurt my ears, even with it turned down in the EQ. Is it a possibility that my radio is bad? Are the speakers bad?  
have you tried different speakers? or offering it a sacrifice? did you tell it that its a good boy and scratch its ear?

What r u using for an amp? R u using the crossover on the amp or hu or both what speakers r u using have u tried a CD what's your max volume you're using what's your source volume set at. 

I think it's best to amp all your speakers. That radio doesn't clip at max volume on the rca s if the eq is flat or at a negative db.and not using the some of the settings in the special affects section of the hu. but the internal amp you might get 3/4 volume out of it b 4 it starts clipping the signal 

I applaud your efforts if I can't help you hopefully someone can 
I was using a Kenwood KAC-304 amp but switched to a DUAL XPR82D (the dual amp is not bad, I listened to the Kenwood and was unimpressed; looked at all the great reviews for the dual and haven't looked back since). Crossover on only the radio, cd doesn't sound any different, listening volume usually hovers under 30, source volume for Bluetooth audio on phone is 100%. Thanks a ton for all your help by the way. Even if it doesn't sound perfect in the end, I guess its the journey you had while installing it and learning about audio that matters. 

have you tried different speakers? or offering it a sacrifice? did you tell it that its a good boy and scratch its ear?
I sacrificed all my time to it, so I'm pretty sure that counts LOL. Interesting thing is, after doing literally nothing, it is starting to sound better. I don't know if it is just my hearing being destroyed or what, but its starting to not sound as harsh. Do these speakers have a break in period of a couple weeks to start performing their best? I know subwoofers do, but I wasn't sure about midrange and tweeters.

30 might be borderline clipping off the hu amp. The hu internal amp is pretty crappy. Pretty much goes for all the of them. I don't think there's anything wrong with your hu from the sound of it

If you want to up grade sometime get a 4 channel amp or another 2 ch. A zapco I think it's the stx maybe idk youdoofus can tell ya would be an excellent amp. But a lot of good reasonable priced choices you could go with.Just come back for suggestions

Would be an improvement to amp all your speakers. Yeah speakers break in

Glad to hear it's sounding better 

30 might be borderline clipping off the hu amp. The hu internal amp is pretty crappy. Pretty much goes for all the of them. I don't think there's anything wrong with your hu from the sound of it

If you want to up grade sometime get a 4 channel amp or another 2 ch. A zapco I think it's the stx maybe idk youdoofus can tell ya would be an excellent amp. But a lot of good reasonable priced choices you could go with.Just come back for suggestions

I sacrificed all my time to it, so I'm pretty sure that counts LOL. Interesting thing is, after doing literally nothing, it is starting to sound better. I don't know if it is just my hearing being destroyed or what, but its starting to not sound as harsh. Do these speakers have a break in period of a couple weeks to start performing their best? I know subwoofers do, but I wasn't sure about midrange and tweeters.
fair enough ;)  and yes subwoofers do generally need some break in due to the mfg'ing process and so do some of the uber high end drivers, but not you general run of the mill speakers. 

30 out of how many tho? if its 90, then its nowhere near clipping. jussayin ;)

Well, I always have the option to hook the Kenwood 4ch back up. The issue was, even with nothing connected to it, it would have a static sound playing through the speakers. I couldn't for the life of me figure out the issue. Still have it though, I guess I could put it back in.

Well, I always have the option to hook the Kenwood 4ch back up. The issue was, even with nothing connected to it, it would have a static sound playing through the speakers. I couldn't for the life of me figure out the issue. Still have it though, I guess I could put it back in.
Same wiring ground rca etc as the other amp? What do you mean nothing connected to it?

Same connections as the one that doesn't currently buzz. With no inputs connected it would buzz (power, ground, acc still connected. It didn't power itself lol), and get louder the more the gain was turned up.

Same connections as the one that doesn't currently buzz. With no inputs connected it would buzz (power, ground, acc still connected. It didn't power itself lol), and get louder the more the gain was turned up.
You may of had the gain too high. Did u try it with the gain all the way down. Radio is 5 volts it doesn't take much gain to level match. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.