Head unit Conversion

I have an R32 GTR and want to put in a HU that is closer to OE looking, however I have a JL 5CH amp running a 10w0 and Focal Components. Is there a way to convert the older HU to new tech. Basically look like OE or equivalent yet be able to use the new components and still have good sound?

Thank you

I have an R32 GTR and want to put in a HU that is closer to OE looking, however I have a JL 5CH amp running a 10w0 and Focal Components. Is there a way to convert the older HU to new tech. Basically look like OE or equivalent yet be able to use the new components and still have good sound?

Thank you
All new non-OEM radios have RCA outputs that will connect direct to your amp. Right now you may be using an LOC, that will be removed.
You can add an FM modulator to your current radio for BT playback.
Screenshot_20230802-104456.png

Last edited:
You might be able to find someone that repairs them, and see if they can swap displays. Which would be knowing how to read the connections and the circuit board, desoldering and resoldering the connections the way they would go. I'll bet they would charge you several hundred dollars to do it, and it would be worth it. You wouldn't be paying for the 5 minutes to do it, you'd be paying for the years of knowledge it took, for them to be able to do it.

You might be able to find a current or recent (maybe even factory from another vehicle) head unit, even if it's from Japan or Korea, that looks old school, but is new tech. What specifically do you want out of it? You might be able to go pull something out of a recent honda that looks basic, but has USB inputs, (if they have those).

You could use an alpine head unit. Those still look damn near the same after 30 years.

Thanks everyone. Just incase I caused confusion on what I’m looking for.

HU that looks old school/factory but functions like new. I already have a newer HU installed along with my amp but, IMO the HU looks out of place compared to OE. Not sure if it’s possible to do but was just seeing if anyone has managed to do it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...