Having Problem with Old school AMP. (VID) HELP!!!

Korn4Life
5,000+ posts

SUB LOVE
PA
Ok so as of late i have been collecting old school amps. I have this California Profile 2400 amp that Isnt working. One channel works but the other channel distorts like crazy,. I took it apart and there are no burn marks or any damage to the board or components. Anyone that has an Idea what the hell is wrong with it please let me know... I made a Vid showing what its doing

Also have a couple old school jensen amps with blown resistors. Anyone know how to tell what I can use to replace them with. The color rings are almost completly gone on the resistor.

sounds like it has a blown channel......

do you have a multimeter? does it put out any dc current out of that bad channel?

on the jensen... you would need to see another amp exactly like yours to get the right color code off the resistors...

sounds like it has a blown channel......
do you have a multimeter? does it put out any dc current out of that bad channel?

on the jensen... you would need to see another amp exactly like yours to get the right color code off the resistors...
I will test with the multimeter tomorrow. If it is a blown channel what will I need to fix it. Im almost willing to do whatever to fix this amp as I love the old white Profile amps. Thanks

LOL op, not to thread jack or insult your gear, but I never thought profile would become collectable. I remember when they first came out, they were the cheap go to brand in the local audio boutique.... Audio King in Minnesota for any of you that may remember that far back.

Good luck with that amp

To each their own.

But anyway you have to break open the amp and test pretty much everything from the right channel to the left channel. do a compare and contrast with the multimeter and see whats up.

Just starting looking into this again... Still need help.. thanks... I bought a amp repair tutorial but have yet to start reading it...lol

output transistors. i have an rf 550S that does the same thing. link to amp repair tutorial?
I bought the tutorial. Cost me $50 bucks on ebay. It is awsome just so much info.. He also posted a smaller run down version for free on his website.. It is also very very informative... Here is the link

http://www.bcae1.com/

I bought the tutorial. Cost me $50 bucks on ebay. It is awsome just so much info.. He also posted a smaller run down version for free on his website.. It is also very very informative... Here is the link
http://www.bcae1.com/
O also should i just change the output transistors on that channel or both?
idk how to test ca stuff i fixed guitar amps over the summer. one way to isolate it under power is removing and replacing transistors 1 at a time and then 2 then 3 if needed to find the bad apple. or check current over the three legs, find a schematic of how the insides are supposed to work and if your getting current flow out of the wrong legs replace that one. thats all i know.

and i use BCAE1 for most of my enclosures. the dude knows his ****.

O also should i just change the output transistors on that channel or both?
if one channel works fine there is no reason to replace the outputs in it. the distortion you are hearing could be a few things. it could be some bad IC's in the preamp section or even some bad caps in the preamp section. i had an old orion making terrible noise in one channel and on a hunch i changed a small very inexpensive capacitor and it played loud and clear. could also be that you have some leaky output transistors in the bad channel causing your distortion. they may not be blown to the point where they are completely shorted(which would almost certainly blow the amps fuses upon applying remote turn on voltage) but they could still not be up to spec. you can always take your meter and compare resistance readings and or voltages from the good channel to the bad channel and hopefully find something like that.

if you want some excellent help(possibly the best amp repair teacher you'd ever meet) you could post your amp and its symptoms over on this website : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/. the man who made BCAE and that amp repair tutorial(Perry Babin is his name) is a regular poster on that forum and he has walked me through many a repair. A simple explanation of the problem and he can usually point you to the exact component causing the issue sometimes even right down to the circuit board designation.

There was one Profile amp I liked for power output, but it was light years before this model. It was bare metal finish and said Profile in big red letters, and had white ends on it. Looked like a huge metal brick. Maybe a 1992 or 1993 model.

That said, I remember looking inside of it and several other profile amps and I'm thinking weren't these the amps that used the large 16 or 32 pin power chips inside rather than the standard outputs?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.