Having an Alternator Rewound...

All the casing does is ground out the bridge rectifier and Voltage regulator to the motor everything else is isolated from the casing with rubber.

Why yikes
Ask around - - My Blazer had a 105 too and I wanted it at 240 and the case must be new because nothing over 160 fits - its too much winding etc. It also takes a special power assembly cable. Dont let um BS you.

I definitely appreciate all the help. I understand completely would it would be too much winding in that small of a case, makes perfect sense. Wondering if I can maybe pick up a blown bigger alternator, and have it rewound. If not, just going to have to scoop out the money for an actual 220-250amp alt. Thanks for all the help so far. By chance would anyone know what size alt I would have to pick to have it rewound to a 220-250amp?

biggest problem with just rewinding a alt is usually if I am not mistaken you will need to change out pulley to get as many amps as you are looking for at idle. Though the largest failure to just rewinding your alternator and not buying one from HO Alternator, Dc Power,or Ohio Generator or other quality alt. is because they are using the stock rectifiers and regulator they are not made to control that much amperage and die other times people will put the smaller pulley so the alt will spin faster like it needs to make the amperage at idle and the bearings are old and go bad from the higher rpm's it is spinning at. I have also know friends who have had them rewound and didn't have any problems but they were only getting them rewound to a extra 25% or so over stock as that will be safe and running a 4 channel and 1500 watt sub amp. I would say it all comes down to you get what you pay for.

rewound alternator = shorter lifespan of said alternator

dont be cheap, pay the extra $$ and buy a new or like new HO alty for your car. trust me, it's worth it.

Ask around - - My Blazer had a 105 too and I wanted it at 240 and the case must be new because nothing over 160 fits - its too much winding etc. It also takes a special power assembly cable. Dont let um BS you.
Well I did it and it fits just fine. I am very impressed. I did have to change the pulley but it was only like 18 bucks. And with the set up in my sig I stay above 13.8v @ idle.

its all in the case, you cant get enough winding in a case made to fit 105 amps, if you do it right and find a case that fits( look at the dimensions of the ho alt) get new armatures more stator winding, new bearings, good grease, new smaller pulley( again go to the ho alt for reference to what pulley you need) use your old shaft and do your big three. no really special tools just time and effort but if you do it all right it will cost about the same but end up out living all the ho alts and there warranty are ****. who needs a warranty when you made it yourself!

I wouldnt do it, The problem with that is number 1 your idle output will go to complete ****, number 2 it will be so hot inside the alt, it's only a matter of time untill you start melthing the guts.

There is a reason why companies like Mechman and DC power has risen to the top, over companies that just "re-wind" their alts to achieve higher output.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.