Having an Alternator Rewound...

MikeyF
10+ year member

It is what it is
Alright, so, i've talked to a few people about a H.O. Alternator, and have been told there is a shop around here that rewinds Alternators to higher amps. Was wondering if anyone has had this done, or has heard about this. My current stock alternator is 105a, and I was going to get it redone to 250a... I guess my main question is, is there a way I can tell what it will actually do at idle, prove it does 250 at max, and has anyone else went this route? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

It isnt cheap but they have been doin this for about 15 years at least and they are all over the country. I paid 500.00 for mine but it was a custom one with gold etc and 300A output. They also are the only ones who honor a warranty on a custom item like this.

This place looks extreamely expensive. Mr.Slate, do you by chance remember how much you paid?
Man, that was well over 20 yrs. ago. There are a couple of auto electric shops in my area. Tell ya what, I'll stop by tomorrow and get a price because I'm thinking about doing it again.

Alright, so, i've talked to a few people about a H.O. Alternator, and have been told there is a shop around here that rewinds Alternators to higher amps. Was wondering if anyone has had this done, or has heard about this. My current stock alternator is 105a, and I was going to get it redone to 250a... I guess my main question is, is there a way I can tell what it will actually do at idle, prove it does 250 at max, and has anyone else went this route? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike.
so you want to take a 105a alternator, use the same casing, and rewind it to a 250a alternator?

yikes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.