Have JL XD400/4 - need more power. Suggestions ?

what the ****? you are smoking crack today brotater?
No. I’m teaching you again. But of course you already know everything.

Do you think his doors area sealed up? I’m guessing no. Do you know how much that hurts linear throw? IE distortion. Audible distortion.

Looks like I opened up a big can of worms.

Without fully understanding the technical stuff my ears know that this tiny 75W x 4 JL class D amp doesn't produce the same kind of 75W x 4 listening experience that my old US made PPI Art Series, Phoenix Gold and Fosgate amps from the 90s produced. For this reason I thought replacing my little JL with something a lot more powerful would help to give me the crankin' front stage 'rock concert' that I want but I could be wrong!!!!

Without fully understanding the technical stuff my ears know that this tiny 75W x 4 JL class D amp doesn't produce the same kind of 75W x 4 listening experience that my old US made PPI Art Series, Phoenix Gold and Fosgate amps from the 90s produced. For this reason I thought replacing my little JL with something a lot more powerful would help to give me the crankin' front stage 'rock concert' that I want but I could be wrong!!!!
There are better ways to spend the money.

No. I’m teaching you again. But of course you already know everything. Do you think his doors area sealed up? I’m guessing no. Do you know how much that hurts linear throw? IE distortion. Audible distortion.
kmsl. you are a trip man.

reread your post. point is. hes driving them as hard as the amp can and clipping the amp. They use the 1% distortion saying figure on amps because it's the minimum that you can hear. baseline hearing.

yes drivers gennerally deliver more distortion but in many cases ON MUSIC you get 1/18 the rated power at 4xs the resistance. your driving the amp much harder and iypu introduce clipping much faster.

any decent mid can handle 100 crossed at 80hz even in unsealed doors. the key is seperating the backwave in a ib install. lol

kmsl. you are a trip man.reread your post. point is. hes driving them as hard as the amp can and clipping the amp. They use the 1% distortion saying figure on amps because it's the minimum that you can hear. baseline hearing.

yes drivers gennerally deliver more distortion but in many cases ON MUSIC you get 1/18 the rated power at 4xs the resistance. your driving the amp much harder and iypu introduce clipping much faster.

any decent mid can handle 100 crossed at 80hz even in unsealed doors. the key is seperating the backwave in a ib install. lol
Adding 25 watts won’t do ****.

Do you know a door is an IB install?

I’m really thinking his drivers are the issue. No 8in mid will do well with a 1in or even 1.5in tweeter.

They need a wideband for a 2 way.

Going going to say he is hearing come breakup from the mids.

Swapping amps won’t do much. After the new wears off he will be right back in the same spot.

You lose rational thought when you want to argue. You want to be right so bad you ignore the obvious.

Or you just don’t know the obvious.

Adding 25 watts won’t do ****. Do you know a door is an IB install?

I’m really thinking his drivers are the issue. No 8in mid will do well with a 1in or even 1.5in tweeter.

They need a wideband for a 2 way.

Going going to say he is hearing come breakup from the mids.

Swapping amps won’t do much. After the new wears off he will be right back in the same spot.

You lose rational thought when you want to argue. You want to be right so bad you ignore the obvious.

Or you just don’t know the obvious.
lol. 25? no the amp i suggested was double the power.

What you've experienced is the fact that not all amplifiers sound the same. I have no doubt that you prefer other amplifiers.

You might find this article to be helpful.

https://issuu.com/diogoianaconi/docs/amplifier_shootout

I need a more powerful / cleaner 4ch amp to drive the 2-way (tweeter + 8" driver) in the front of my car. Now I have this amp:
JL Audio XD400/4 Class D 4-channel amplifier is rated at 75 Watts RMS x 4-channels in 4-ohm at 20 to 20,000Hz with a signal-to-noise-ratio of 104 dB and a total harmonic distortion of 1% while receiving 14.4 Volts.

Width 8.5 in

Depth 7.1 in

Height 2 in

My budget is $1000 and I need an amp that isn't much larger than the JL. Max dimensions would be:

Width 9 in

Depth 10 in

Height 3 in

I have searched the normal candidates (JL (HD600/4 is probably too big), Alpine, Focal, etc) but everything is either small and cheaper (not real, old-school BIG Watts) or physically huge. Can anyone recommend a few brands or models to consider?

Driver specs:

Woofer

Size - 200 mm (8")

Power Handling 100 W Continuous Power / 300 W Peak Power

Impedance 4 Ω

Frequency Response 35 ÷ 3k Hz

Sensitivity 93,5 dB/Spl

Magnet - High density flux ferrite

Thanks
If you can fit 9.5"x10" i have a 4 channel nib mmats thatll do 250x4 at 4 and 400x4 at 2

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.