Harsh tweeters!!! Need some advice.

gibhunter
10+ year member

OK, so I bought (against this board's recommendation) a set of Infinity 6000cs speakers. The speakers sound fantastic hooked up to my amp putting out the recommended 90 watts RMS. I have them hooked up to the -3db on the crossover and all is good untill I crank it up. At that moment my ears want to bleed.

I know the setup is fine because my wife loves it and says that she would like a setup like that in her car. I just guess the tweeters are a personal choice and they don't necessarily agree with me.

OK. So here's the question. For about $35 extra I can exchange these for a set of Polk db6500 speakers. The Polks feature a silk dome tweeter. How do they compare to the reference series? Did anyone hear them? Are their tweeters less bright/harsh than the Infinitys? Should I go for it?

Or should I just leave it as it is and buy a better set of silk dome tweeters from CDT or Focal etc.? Ps. I really wouldn't want to spend more than another $50-$100.

Polks are much softer, lose a little of the clarity of the infinitys though. If you don't like them i'd say you would be happy with the polks, they are both good speakers, Are you sure you can still exchange them even after they were installed?

Try reversing the phase of one of the tweeters by swapping the leads at the crossover to see if that sounds soft enough before you spend any more money.
That will help, but to a degree they will still be harsh. I would definetly try that first, I did it with my 6000cs's and it was like having new speakers, they were still harsh but not as bad.

Polks are much softer

OK. Just checked out the Polks a bit closer. The crossovers included with them, do not have a decibel adjustment for the tweeters. So now they are out of the question. The Polk Momo crossovers have a nice -, -3 and -6db adjustment, but Crutchfield doesn't sell them and I doubt that they would fit. The Infinitys are about as deep as I dare to go, unless I plan on keeping my windows closed. That's why I can't get the CDTs.

Well, I called Crutchfield and they agreed to take them back. Whew! Learned a lesson there. KEEP ALL ORIGINAL PACKAGING!!!

Anyways, my next purchase will be a CDT either CL-61A that everyone here loves so much, or the euro sized HD-62EF that all the reviewers rave about. There is about a $50 difference between the two and I'll have to custom mount either one.

The CDTs come with 3/4" tweeter and I already made holes in the doors to accomodate the 1" tweeter from the Infinity Reference components. So not to screw around with anything, I ordered Kicker RS6 components that come with 1" silk dome tweeter and a set of 1/2" speaker rings so that they can fit in the doors.

On the bright side, my wife liked the Infinitys and their bright tweeters so I might end up keeping both.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.