Harsh highs from tweeters at highway speeds

xenofactor07
10+ year member

I've noticed my tweeters seem to sound harsh when I get up to highway speeds. I have Focal IS130s (5 1/4" , mid + tweeter w/ built in cross over.) Because the crossover is built in, there's really no way change the crossover point on the components I don't think. The tweeters are mounted at about chest level on the door, opposite of the side mirror on the interior.

The only way I combat the harshness is by turning the bass up on EQ and turning the treble down. It helps, but I lose the quality of cymbal hits and risk clipping by messing with bass settings.

What's causing this and is there any solution? Perhaps Dynamat?

wiring out of phase won't change a tweeter, freqs played are too high.

You could try some speaker grill cloth over the tweeter to try and mute it some...

wiring out of phase won't change a tweeter, freqs played are too high.
You could try some speaker grill cloth over the tweeter to try and mute it some...
It certainly can help with the blending of tweeter to mid. Phase is important below 5kHz, where most tweeters play below

If they are harsh they will still likely be harsh after phase has been played around with. Now he's saying that his tweeters sound harsh at highway speed. So what are the variables that come into play in that scenario? More than likely the volume has to be increased substantially, so if the tweeters are harsh, you may decide to cut frequencies using the EQ. Increasing the bass doesn't make the high range any less harsh. I would leave the bass where it is on the eq, and lower the higher range eq settings. See how it turns out, but more than likely it will take a lot of testing and tuning. I would also suggest if possible to change the orientation of the tweeters, perhaps angle them such a way that they are not as harsh to the hear without doing many other changes.

Flipping the phase has the most pronounced effect when you flip phase on BOTH the tweeters, you can gain a lot more width and breadth, to the ear.

With some speakers, you can't really do much about this. A lot of the time the tweeter harshness comes from the fact that the tweeter is high passed too low. Often, playing 2KHz and up with authority is just too much to ask from a 1 inch diameter tweeter. If you run active you can high pass your tweeters higher and sharper, but this will not work well if your mids can't play upper mid range well. Some supposedly "high end" mids (ID mids, Dayton Reference) are not meant to play above 2KHz for example, pretty much requiring a high end tweeter. By the way, a lot of Focal crossovers come with advanced crossover networks. At very least you should be able to select tweeter attenuation mode (0dB, -3dB, -6dB etc).

My HAT Imagine speakers produced ear piercing upper midrange once the volume is up to make music audible at 70mhp simply because the high pass filter with a 6dB slope in their crossover network was not enough to calm them down. Now I got hold of an active crossover, and the tweeters are set with high pass at 6.3KHz and 12dB slope, and they sound fantastic. The HAT mids do have a reputation for a good upper end extension, so I can still hear upper mid-range without tweeters playing much of it.

What makes tweeters sound bad when they are high passed too low is often the _distortion_. If this is the case, I don't think having them out of phase will help much. Whether in phase or out of phase, distortion is distortion.

Of course, another issue could be that tweeters have low distortion even at high volume, but the crossover does not attenuate them enough. If you can, try to move tweeters far away from your ears, maybe into kick panels if you have them.

There are also the "crossover geek" ways of calming down the tweeters. You can potentially do this by inserting a capacitor or a resistor in-line with the tweeter. A capacitor creates an additional 6dB high pass filter with cut frequency that depends on the cap value. The resistor I believe is for attenuation.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP.

@xenofactor07

Please detail your audio system more clearly.

What head unit are you using? What amp(s)?

Also, what vehicle?

I would like to chime in on my 'fix', but need more info to properly judge the situation.

By the way, some head units have "sound enhancers" and preset EQ curves that usually are just terrible. I remember the "Supreme+" on all new Kenwood head units. The thing is terrible, and adds harshness as high and low frequencies, and based on a third party test reduces stereo separation to 15dB. Try to turn off any of those.

By the way, some head units have "sound enhancers" and preset EQ curves that usually are just terrible. I remember the "Supreme+" on all new Kenwood head units. The thing is terrible, and adds harshness as high and low frequencies, and based on a third party test reduces stereo separation to 15dB. Try to turn off any of those.
Also, 'Loudness' control on every Pioneer Hu for at least the last 10yrs boosts the HELL out of bass and treble.

can you say "sibilance"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.