Harsh highs from tweeters at highway speeds

running a cap in series with the already existing cap just adds the voltage of the 2 caps together, so they can handle more voltage. however, this means that you could use a slightly smaller cap to increase the cross-over frequency, without ill effect. yes, a resistor will attenuate the db of the tweeter.

it won't help with his issue and 99% of the time it will make NO diff period....
I disagree with you and your made-up statistics. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

we don't know the rest of the equipment, but if the Focals are powered by a head unit and not an amp, it's likely just head unit amp distortion. he mentions just "bass" and "treble" which is all you get with stock or inexpensive head units.

I disagree with you and your made-up statistics. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
we don't know the rest of the equipment, but if the Focals are powered by a head unit and not an amp, it's likely just head unit amp distortion. he mentions just "bass" and "treble" which is all you get with stock or inexpensive head units.
my personal experience and what I've also seen stated on DIYMA numerous times about tweeter phase...

Phase interference and comb filtering dominate the challenges we face. Reflections are the biggest challenge as they arrive late and cause constructive and destructive interference.

What is important is not phase at 10kHz, but phase relative to the woofer at and below the crossover point. Figure the wavelength at 2kHz is about 6". This is enough to make phase matter. With a 5kHz crossover point and a wavelength of .225", phase means much less since minute head movements will negate the issue.

One thing to try before adjusting phase or crossover point is to move around. If you hear an issue, move your head a foot and listen.

Diffraction matters, and this is well documented. Tweeter mounting and position relative to other objects is very important. That is why spheres work so well.

I have spent a decent amount of time with a variety of 3-way systems in several orientations, the H701 allows for experimentation from the drivers seat. Tweeter phase is relative to the rest of the system. Can it make a difference? Of course. There are so many complex interactions, every change matters. Does the magnitude of the change vary? Of course. Is it a very easy thing to experiment with? Definitely.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.