Guess Its Time for a HOalt :(

Why So Cereal?
5,000+ posts

Invisible Cereal
Sooooooo i'm running about 2000wrms in my lil tC on stock 100a alt. and I think its starting to take its toll. My lights dim like a mudafugga and starting today when the bass really gets goin on those low notes my 4 channel will go into protect so I'm thinking its probably my voltage dropping too low.

Does anyone know of a good budget alt for a Scion tC or what should i expect to be spending?

I dont really have much experience with the whole electrical part of car audio so I dont know what size alternator to look for or pretty much anything. I always see ones on the forum for Chevys n Fords but if anyone has a alt for a scion tC/ Toyota Camry 4 cyl, please let me know.

no such thing as a budget HO alt, and if it did exist you wouldn't want to buy it lol. Excessive Amperage/Mechman/DC Power/Nations auto electric are all good places to find HO alts for your vehicle if you cannot find one easily. Your auto parts store may have an upgraded alternator that will do roughly 150amps for around 160-200$ otherwise you're looking to spend anywhere from 350-500$ on one.

no such thing as a budget HO alt, and if it did exist you wouldn't want to buy it lol. Excessive Amperage/Mechman/DC Power/Nations auto electric are all good places to find HO alts for your vehicle if you cannot find one easily. Your auto parts store may have an upgraded alternator that will do roughly 150amps for around 160-200$ otherwise you're looking to spend anywhere from 350-500$ on one.
that would be GREAT!!!

lulz, I've only been doin it for about 2 weeks at most. I have a batcap 800 in my trunk to help out. But I guess the HOalt is unavoidable.
i have a 100 amp alt and the big 3 and get dimming when idleing on 650 rms...

no matter how many batts you have, your alternator is the heart, without a big heart, your batteries wont get the blood, or charge in this case.

im in the same boat man. i remember some guy on here selling a camary one, but he didnt know if itd fit my celica.

i have a 100 amp alt and the big 3 and get dimming when idleing on 650 rms...
Cause your idle amperage is prolly only 50-60 amps.

Mechman actually just finished off a 10% off for the month of August sale. Too bad ya just missed on it.

no matter how many batts you have, your alternator is the heart, without a big heart, your batteries wont get the blood, or charge in this case.im in the same boat man. i remember some guy on here selling a camary one, but he didnt know if itd fit my celica.
he still have it ??

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

what specs do i need to look at on the alternators?

and how many amps do i need?

add up the amps on your fuses on your amps and add 60 for what it takes to run all the other aspects of the car...thats how many amps you need. In theory anyway.

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't finished my Big3/installed my HO yet so currently I've got 290 in fuses on my amps so I should technically have like a 300+amp alternator. and I'm opperating on a 105 stock alt for now. even with a HO alt I'll only be at 200 amps for charging.....but I know for a fact My batt stays charged right now, somehow my cars electrical is coping....could be because its music and not flat 40hz at full volume while I drive, could be because my 1/0 gets distributed between 2 amps and so my sub amp isn't getting enough power both ways and is only using so many amps or whatever but I'm surviving for now. It is very clear and evident this won't last forever though I will need to install my HO alt in order to prevent my stock one from dieing. Cars can survive on hardly anything it seems, but the more electrical upgrades you have the more power you got to throw around.

that sucks!! I dont even think i could live on 650rms lol. I like to run atleast 500 to my mids and highs!
Well if you think your Memphis is putting out 2k rms, you are terribly mistaken. And 500 rms out of the gt 40 is a lil high as well. And how often do you have your HU at full tilt?

ahh man... ill go dig through my posts... and also, man, that ***** 650 on idle. Lmao...on my little celica, i ran 750 on idle with no dimming no big 3.
yea i ran about 1000rms with very minimal dimming on completely stock electrical and 4 gauge wiring when i first started car audio.

Guess my reasoning of "ehh whats another 1k watts?" wasnt too good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Why So Cereal?

5,000+ posts
Invisible Cereal
Why So Cereal?
Drowning in milk
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date