Got My New Sub (SPG-555) :)

sml238
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I was going to get 2 G5's but the G5's are discontinued so soon there won't be any available parts and to rebuild them you would have to wait extended periods of time. So I convinced myself to go with 1 SPG-555 after hearing a guy I know who works at the car audio place I go to.

It's in a Boston Gtuned ported box tuned to 34Hz and it sounds amazing. I'm only running 500w rms to it right now because I still need to get a 1000 or 1200rms what amp for it.

Let me know your opinion on this sub and if you think it was a bad decision on ditching the G5's. Oh and by the way retail on this is 849.99, on sale for $699.99 but these people hooked me up so I got it for $500 even.

Here's my exact setup at crutchfield - http://www.ciao.com/Boston_Acoustics_GTuned_SPG555PS_Car_subwoofer__10087243

I know I enjoy it every single day. Gorgeous sound.
Does it slam though? I only have 500 rms to it right now so its not really that loud. How will it sound with 1000rms or 1200rms to it?

and when i played a bass test song when it hit a certain note it sounded like it was clicking idk it was weird. it couldnt of been possibly bottoming out with 500w but it sounded like when u watch a video of someone playing a rly low note u know that clicking sound?

I highly doubt they are discontinuing the G5 as they just released the new colors/dust cap design. The shop probably just told you that to make you buy the SPG-555 so they could move it. The SPG is still a good sub either way.

Woulda went with the G5s
idk though all the guys in there said the 555 was more accurate and its still current. also he said the 555 in a ported box would be louder than 2 g5's in a sealed box which i was going to get. but he did you would feel 2 g5's a bit more just because of the more surface area.

but i rly liked the sound of the 555. they were explaining to me how the oval shape has the tightness of a 10 but the output of a 12. pretty cool sub imo.

I highly doubt they are discontinuing the G5 as they just released the new colors/dust cap design. The shop probably just told you that to make you buy the SPG-555 so they could move it. The SPG is still a good sub either way.
no he called the boston rep right infront of me. they're also discontinuing a lot of their amps and coming out with a whole new line of fan cooled amps. and thats y crutchfield has g5's buy 1 get 1.

I used to have the G5's, SPG in a ported enclosure has a lot more potential to get louder than two 12" G5's in a sealed enclosure.

Use the subsonic filter and you'll be fine. I have atleast 1100 RMS going to one SPG555 in a sealed box and it handles it fine. It lasted all day this past weekend's show, demo'ing for about an hour and a half straight doo doo bass--which is rare on my setup.

what do you have your subsonic filter at? Mines just above 20Hz.

And right now with 500w going to it its not too loud. But I heard my same setup with 1200 watts going to it and the thing slammed. And I gotta see if it's the 4 ohm or 2 ohm voice coil. The guy gave me 1 of each or 2 of the same one I'll have to check.

^^you should like it a lot more once you bump up the power if it's anything like the G5's are. I believe the G5 is rated at 450 rms and Ive been pushing mine with about 600 and they can still take quite a bit more. I'm going to throw some more power at them and see how they do //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

sml238

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
sml238
Southwick, MA//Providence, RI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date