Good subs for SQ?

Even output across the subwoofer bandwidth usually means a driver with low Inductance and Mms, couple that with a decent EQ to tame cabin gain and you should be golden.
Cabin gain is going to give you a 10dB or so boost around 40-50hz, with it being bloated in that region it tends to over shadow lower frequencies along with higher frequencies.

Low inductance means the driver will have a larger usable bandwidth, low Mms usually points to a better frequency response (flat response) across that bandwidth.

A few that come to mind:

Dayton Audio HO (or HF if you have the space)

Exodus Audio Shiva-X

Alpine Type-X

DIYMA R12 (if you don't mind low output)

JBL Wgti (if you have spare a larger mounting depth)

Awesome information. That's exactly the kind of help I was looking for.

The Alpine Type X was one of the ones I have always been considering, but I was kind of turned off based on my experience with the model one step below it (Type R). I take it they would not similar in terms of SQ?

Also, I continue to be confused about what size of sub to go with. People over the years have always suggesting going with a really good 10'' in a sealed box because I mostly listen to rock. My taste in metal range from Slayer to Burzum to Meshuggah. I listen to a lot of music. Now I'm hearing more people say that 12'' is the "balanced size" for covering all kinds of music. I suspect I'm talking to smarter people these days.

I'm considering just going on sonicelectronics.com and buying those Type X reference series component speakers, along with PDX amps (or M series?) and Type X subwoofer. Decent setup?

I used to run 10's as well as 12's in my old IASCA car. Prefered the sound of the 10's. Thought they had a tighter sound (great for rock) and hit harder than the 12's.

I found the 12's to hit lower but always seemed to be half a second behind the note on certain soms (like drum snare solos and some Rush and Led Zep songs - Moby Dick comes to mind).

To date, the Macrom prosche with an 18" in the back playing jazz is still the best sounding demo vehicle I've come across.

Awesome information. That's exactly the kind of help I was looking for.
The Alpine Type X was one of the ones I have always been considering, but I was kind of turned off based on my experience with the model one step below it (Type R). I take it they would not similar in terms of SQ?

Also, I continue to be confused about what size of sub to go with. People over the years have always suggesting going with a really good 10'' in a sealed box because I mostly listen to rock. My taste in metal range from Slayer to Burzum to Meshuggah. I listen to a lot of music. Now I'm hearing more people say that 12'' is the "balanced size" for covering all kinds of music. I suspect I'm talking to smarter people these days.

I'm considering just going on sonicelectronics.com and buying those Type X reference series component speakers, along with PDX amps (or M series?) and Type X subwoofer. Decent setup?
Since I've only heard the X, and not the R I can't really give a fair comparison between the two. To date my favorite subwoofer would be the DIYMA R12 (search for R12 over there and you should find some reviews), but the weight of it and the fragile cone that you needed to be really careful with, led me to want something else. The Type X is very close to how the R12 sounds, like probably about 95% the same. It can't extend quite as high (I had the R12 crossed at 125@12db), but it's pretty **** close.

As far as transparency goes, and perceived "speed" the Type X does a wonderful job, couple that with being able to find one practically anywhere makes it a good choice IMO. That also means you can find crazy deals on em (I paid 135 shipped for mine, barely used).

As far as size, generally as you go up in size you'll gain low frequency output, but also increase weight and box size. It's up to you which you're willing to give up, to gain the other.

I'd find cheaper amps, not that the PDXs aren't good, but I don't like spending a lot of money on an amplifier, save that cash and get the SPX-PRO set, instead of the REF. Otherwise you sound like you're on the right track. Hell even the Pioneer PRS720 comp set would be a good choice, and they're a bit cheaper than the SPX-PRO.

Since I've only heard the X, and not the R I can't really give a fair comparison between the two. To date my favorite subwoofer would be the DIYMA R12 (search for R12 over there and you should find some reviews), but the weight of it and the fragile cone that you needed to be really careful with, led me to want something else. The Type X is very close to how the R12 sounds, like probably about 95% the same. It can't extend quite as high (I had the R12 crossed at 125@12db), but it's pretty **** close.
As far as transparency goes, and perceived "speed" the Type X does a wonderful job, couple that with being able to find one practically anywhere makes it a good choice IMO. That also means you can find crazy deals on em (I paid 135 shipped for mine, barely used).

As far as size, generally as you go up in size you'll gain low frequency output, but also increase weight and box size. It's up to you which you're willing to give up, to gain the other.

I'd find cheaper amps, not that the PDXs aren't good, but I don't like spending a lot of money on an amplifier, save that cash and get the SPX-PRO set, instead of the REF. Otherwise you sound like you're on the right track. Hell even the Pioneer PRS720 comp set would be a good choice, and they're a bit cheaper than the SPX-PRO.
^^^^this is excellant information. To the op I would consider cheaper amps as well. Clarion makes very good amplifiers for the money, they are almost comparable to Arc audio except without the price tag and are very good bang for the buck.

^^^^this is excellant information. To the op I would consider cheaper amps as well. Clarion makes very good amplifiers for the money, they are almost comparable to Arc audio except without the price tag and are very good bang for the buck.
Which is why I run two of them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I'd run three if I could find the APX2181 at a good price.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.