Good subs for SQ?

JakeD
10+ year member

I'm in the process of piecing together a new system for my '03 VW GTI and am probably going to go with component speakers from JL, Focal or Hertz with 6.5'' woofers. The amp will probably be Audison, JL or DLS with 70x4@ 4ohms and 250-500 watts to the sub (the amount of power I go with will depend on the sub's requirements).

I'm really not looking for any kind of crazy output, mostly just really good sound reproduction and accuracy. I like subs that have a lot of clear even output through the spectrum. I don't like it when subs have like a specific range where they hit super hard and then wimp out everywhere else. If I had the choice between that and no sub, I would choose no sub. I want it to be even and consistent, so that when I get a lot of output it will be because it was recorded that way and NOT because the sub really like to rip at one specific frequency. I tried a Alpine Type R and wasn't really pleased overall, even though I felt it had an awesome sounding bass when I listened to electronic music like The Faint or Metric.

Any suggestions? I'd kinda like to spend less than $500 on the woofer itself. Also, I will need suggestions on a sealed box to go with it because I am a total novice.

Thanks in advance!

hear diamond audio makes good SQ product, along with polk audio. umm the Fi q is a nice sub, built for SQ not SPL but it is rated for 1000rms. i also like the rockford subs, even their p1 series sound great.

umm the Fi q is a nice sub, built for SQ not SPL but it is rated for 1000rms.

Yeah, what's up with that? A $150 sub that wants 1000 watts?

I mean, if that's what it takes, fine... I'll do it. But If I'm spending the money to get 1000 watts to the sub I might as well spend a little more on a brand I've heard of. If nothing else, a review or two would be nice.

Yeah, what's up with that? A $150 sub that wants 1000 watts?
I mean, if that's what it takes, fine... I'll do it. But If I'm spending the money to get 1000 watts to the sub I might as well spend a little more on a brand I've heard of. If nothing else, a review or two would be nice.
Fi is a good quality sub, they're cheap bc they dont spend the time and money to build the sub before you order it. you order it and they build it to what you want. ive considered runnin Fis in my truck but im lookin to run like 4 12s and 4000w is more than im lookin to put out. and im pretty sure a lot of people on here can give you good reviews on th Fi's.

Lots of capable subs were mentioned to you take your pick and then move on.

Might try the AE's. I've only read reviews on them so far but they seem like the right sub for you. For something at delicate as a "SQ" substage I would focus about %99.9999 of my attention on the install

And next time your looking for a review on a certain sub such as the FI Q, use the search button //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif:D:D:D
I don't think he's ever heard of Fi so I doubt he'll be picking up your subs either. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I don't think he's ever heard of Fi so I doubt he'll be picking up your subs either. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Hey, always got to think positive. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Idmax, SS-RL-P, Eclipse aluminum, TC sounds, Diamond TDX/d9

welcome to the forum. You are asking a question that is asked nearly daily. Search around a little and you will find a ton of information.

I'm in the process of piecing together a new system for my '03 VW GTI and am probably going to go with component speakers from JL, Focal or Hertz with 6.5'' woofers. The amp will probably be Audison, JL or DLS with 70x4@ 4ohms and 250-500 watts to the sub (the amount of power I go with will depend on the sub's requirements).
I'm really not looking for any kind of crazy output, mostly just really good sound reproduction and accuracy. I like subs that have a lot of clear even output through the spectrum. I don't like it when subs have like a specific range where they hit super hard and then wimp out everywhere else. If I had the choice between that and no sub, I would choose no sub. I want it to be even and consistent, so that when I get a lot of output it will be because it was recorded that way and NOT because the sub really like to rip at one specific frequency. I tried a Alpine Type R and wasn't really pleased overall, even though I felt it had an awesome sounding bass when I listened to electronic music like The Faint or Metric.

Any suggestions? I'd kinda like to spend less than $500 on the woofer itself. Also, I will need suggestions on a sealed box to go with it because I am a total novice.

Thanks in advance!
Even output across the subwoofer bandwidth usually means a driver with low Inductance and Mms, couple that with a decent EQ to tame cabin gain and you should be golden.

Cabin gain is going to give you a 10dB or so boost around 40-50hz, with it being bloated in that region it tends to over shadow lower frequencies along with higher frequencies.

Low inductance means the driver will have a larger usable bandwidth, low Mms usually points to a better frequency response (flat response) across that bandwidth.

A few that come to mind:

Dayton Audio HO (or HF if you have the space)

Exodus Audio Shiva-X

Alpine Type-X

DIYMA R12 (if you don't mind low output)

JBL Wgti (if you have spare a larger mounting depth)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.