Good SQ at a fair price??

Now I'm curious, is the difference in SQ between a budget (lets say 150-300 range) class AB amp and class D amp noticeable?

Now I'm curious, is the difference in SQ between a budget class AB amp and class D amp noticeable?
That's for you to decide. Direct swap I noticed a difference it the high end between a JL slash and JL HD. The good thing with class D is the amount of power they can make. If you buy a big amp knowing you are not going to run it full tilt it can make up for its lacking SQ.

Now I'm curious, is the difference in SQ between a budget (lets say 150-300 range) class AB amp and class D amp noticeable?
Was having fun at the local SQ oriented audio shop where he hooked up a class D pioneer to his speaker wall and then switched over to a mosconi gladen amp. OH MY LORD the difference in just the amp swap alone. Needless to say, he made a pretty penny outta the customer he was showing it to.

great information, it really seems like a matter of your end goal, if your amp is your weakest link then its going to degrade SQ. otherwise it's generally the source or speaker (from what ive read) that's the weakest link

excuse my ignorance, but mosconi gladen? never heard of it (maybe I'm too young?) looks like it's a DSP/amp combo? it almost sounds like you went from one extreme (cheap pioneer class D) to a high end amp

great information, it really seems like a matter of your end goal, if your amp is your weakest link then its going to degrade SQ. otherwise it's generally the source or speaker (from what ive read) that's the weakest link
excuse my ignorance, but mosconi gladen? never heard of it (maybe I'm too young?) looks like it's a DSP/amp combo? it almost sounds like you went from one extreme (cheap pioneer class D) to a high end amp

They have amps also. Mosconi, gladen, audio systems

yup, its very high end, not quite a DSP amp like helix's amp though and yes for SQ, I'd focus the money on every other aspect on the system before swapping your 4 channel unless you need more power to keep up.

I may have this wrong but it appears that you will be using 2 tweeters per side and 2 - 6.5" speakers per side, you could eliminate the separate crossover and just use a 4 or 5 channel amplifier with built-in low pass/band pass/high pass active crossovers built-in then wire each pair of tweeters in parallel for a 2 ohm load and drive them with channels 1 and 2, then wire each pair of 6.5's in parallel for a 2 ohm load and drive them with channels 3 and 4, then you could wire a pair of 4 ohm subs in parallel creating a 2 ohm load for channel 5..Choose an amplifier that delivers X amount of watts per channel at 2 ohms and run with it..

Even if you choose to use a 4 channel amplifier or 2 pairs of two-channel amplifiers for highs/mids then use a separate 1 or (2 channel bridged) amplifier for the lows you can still avoid using a separate crossover IF the amplifier has the desired active crossovers already built in.

Use the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
im not 100% on what i am going to do with the setup i want to use both sets of tweets in each door, the 2 5 1/4 in the dash as my center channel. The reason im seperating the tweets from the mids is the AEX350T has 30band eq and 3 way active crossover outputs, i have oscope, multimeters, and spectrum analyzer so i plan on setting it like i would a competition setup. the deck i am going with will be the pioneer avic4000 or 4100nex so i can set time delay. thanks for the info i really appreciate it.

so Precision power has started putting out better equipment now days??? thats great to hear i think thats the route im going to go thanks all.
They are not anymore. They seem to have put out one good line when they got bought by power acustik. Now they are max rated and overrated rms. Just like soundstream

so Precision power has started putting out better equipment now days??? thats great to hear i think thats the route im going to go thanks all.

Not sure about the rest of the line, but the Phantoms are the real deal, as are the rest of these clone amps from Polk, NVX, Soundstream, & Hertz (controls are on top). They make their rated power as several tests have shown. Like I said, I've run what are considered SQ amps in the past, many of them....I'm happy with the performance from these amps. Get it, & use the rest of the money to properly treat your doors.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.