Good SQ at a fair price??

gimling

florida
Been out of the game a while. I see so many new companies and old companies bought out,not sure whats a good amp anymore. Im getting older and i want a High Quality sound something that can get loud and sound good without breaking the bank. i got kids and a mortgage so combining what i have with a few things i need to purchase, planning on running 2 sets of boston accoustic pro 6.5's probably 2, 5 1/4 center channel(will be adding the 2 tweets with the other door tweets) and 2 JL 10W3's. kinda goin with what i have around here, i will be using an AE350T as an active crossover so the tweets will be on a different amp or amps than the mids, I have an audiobahn A1504DP which i love but they dont make em anymore. so could use some advice on what to use it on as well as what to use for the rest of the setup, thanks to anyone who gives me some info.

Been out of the game a while. I see so many new companies and old companies bought out,not sure whats a good amp anymore. Im getting older and i want a High Quality sound something that can get loud and sound good without breaking the bank. i got kids and a mortgage so combining what i have with a few things i need to purchase, planning on running 2 sets of boston acoustic pro 6.5's probably 2, 5 1/4 center channel(will be adding the 2 tweets with the other door tweets) and 2 JL 10W3's. kinda going with what i have around here, i will be using an AE350T as an active crossover so the tweets will be on a different amp or amps than the mids, I have an Audiobahn A1504DP which i love but they don't make em anymore. so could use some advice on what to use it on as well as what to use for the rest of the setup, thanks to anyone who gives me some info.
I may have this wrong but it appears that you will be using 2 tweeters per side and 2 - 6.5" speakers per side, you could eliminate the separate crossover and just use a 4 or 5 channel amplifier with built-in low pass/band pass/high pass active crossovers built-in then wire each pair of tweeters in parallel for a 2 ohm load and drive them with channels 1 and 2, then wire each pair of 6.5's in parallel for a 2 ohm load and drive them with channels 3 and 4, then you could wire a pair of 4 ohm subs in parallel creating a 2 ohm load for channel 5..

Choose an amplifier that delivers X amount of watts per channel at 2 ohms and run with it..

Even if you choose to use a 4 channel amplifier or 2 pairs of two-channel amplifiers for highs/mids then use a separate 1 or (2 channel bridged) amplifier for the lows you can still avoid using a separate crossover IF the amplifier has the desired active crossovers already built in.

Use the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm definitely not a pro-audiophile, so take my review with a grain of salt if you wish lol. But I'm happy with the amp, it's a bit of a pain to get the thing mounted because the wholes are so deep (a long screwdriver and drill bit helps) but it's a tiny footprint. the built in BPF is extremely handy, but the frequencies arent marked like most amps, so you'll have to do it by ear or a SMD tool

Mine does get somewhat hot after running it hard at 2 ohms, but that's to be expected I'd imagine. No noticeable loss of SQ, I can get some pictures of mine installed if you're interested in how the final product looks like

i'm running two channels of my ppi at 1.66 ohms with my rear fill atm. Amp doesnt get hot unless its already steaming hot summer heat baking my car already. However for better/pure SQ, might be better off with a class ab amp.

These days I've heard that there can be little to no difference between AB and D class amps (this obviously only goes with high end manufacturers, like alpine). if you want great SQ check out the alpine PDX series. I was considering getting a PDX-f6 for a while, but the price was just out of my range, even though I could get it from a dealer for about ~400.

These days I've heard that there can be little to no difference between AB and D class amps (this obviously only goes with high end manufacturers, like alpine). if you want great SQ check out the alpine PDX series. I was considering getting a PDX-f6 for a while, but the price was just out of my range, even though I could get it from a dealer for about ~400.
High end manufactures for class D would be JL HD or ZED. Not so much Alpine.

well okay lol I guess it's all relative to what you're comparing it to. comparing it to the other class D amps out there the alpine is better, but if you're talking about the absolute best brands for high end class D four channels then you're right.

You will be fine with either the PPI, Polk, or the Soundstream (TN4.900D) & NVX (JAD 800.4) versions. They are basically the same amp. I am now using the Soundstream versions. They make a good amount of clean power & I'm happy with them. I replaced a set of Boston Acoustics GT amplifiers with these...those were class A/B. I've also used Arc Audio XXK's before that as well as Audison Lrx amps. These clone amps are a great bang for the buck.

well okay lol I guess it's all relative to what you're comparing it to. comparing it to the other class D amps out there the alpine is better, but if you're talking about the absolute best brands for high end class D four channels then you're right.
Yeah either you go completely budget or completely over the top with class D amps. The middle grade class Ds sound pretty much similar to the budget grade. Middle grade class AB amps can give pretty nice sound.

Yeah either you go completely budget or completely over the top with class D amps. The middle grade class Ds sound pretty much similar to the budget grade. Middle grade class AB amps can give pretty nice sound.
I hope the DD falls in with the high end bracket. It does price wise

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.