Good size turbo on a 2.3L I4?

bumpin_blazer
5,000+ posts

Only the Strong Survive
Austin,TX
Well I'm thinking the stock turbo's will be gone within 4 weeks of when I get the speed6 i'm getting this month. I'm wondering what kind of turbo setup I could upgrade to for maximum hp and torque without hurting the engine to much. I know the stock turbo's are ran at 12-15psi so that'll be where i run the new one's at. Any input would be great.

Depends on what u want?

You want small fast spoolin,fast repsonse,less power turbo

Or big late spool,Laggy,top end freeway pullin car turbo.

You can have best of both words but its gonna cost a good bit.

Any idea where you wanna take this car,daily driver or strip?

Just a lil more info.

And this is a Mazda Speed Protege right?

^^^^ x2

theres not some magic turbo that fits every possibly imaginable category of performance perfectly, its always a balance and compromise to have it perform optimally for your usage

keep in mind 12 psi with one turbo can be worlds of difference of 12psi on a different turbo

you'll need to figure out what kind of additional power handling capabilities the factory equipment has, and not forget supporting mods as well

Depends on what u want?You want small fast spoolin,fast repsonse,less power turbo

Or big late spool,Laggy,top end freeway pullin car turbo.

You can have best of both words but its gonna cost a good bit.

Any idea where you wanna take this car,daily driver or strip?

Just a lil more info.

And this is a Mazda Speed Protege right?
god no on the speed protege that car was gay. this is the speed6. i'd prefer a mix of both i don't want a late spool as i'd want to then put n2o to make it spool faster or assist in it and i don't want that. i want a mix of both but i might just keep the stock one's for a while.

gt28rs, t3 is ancient and laggy, and the t3/t4 was originally created by turbonetics as a single-turbo conversion for a supra twin turbo (large motor) you probably wouldn't be happy with it on a 4, people put them on 1.8t's, and they kick in at like 4k-redline, i'd take a wider powerband > peak power any day, unless you're gonna cusomtize the tranny, or at least change your final drive..

in all honesty i think itll be more then quick enough for a year or so...i would do other stuff like exhaust....intake.......higher flowing intercooler and pipping..... aem ems...bigger injectors....high flow fuel pump...because if your gonna do a bigger turbo you are gonna have to have this stuff at a minimum before you think of swapping turbos....otherwie youll notice little if any difference...really if you do the stuff listed i wouldent doubt youll be in the 300+ wheel horse power range...just upgrading the turbo I doubt youll gain much if any....and remember the speed six has like 190-200 whp stock so this gain will deffinitaly be noticeable.....

gt28rs, t3 is ancient and laggy, and the t3/t4 was originally created by turbonetics as a single-turbo conversion for a supra twin turbo (large motor) you probably wouldn't be happy with it on a 4, people put them on 1.8t's, and they kick in at like 4k-redline, i'd take a wider powerband > peak power any day, unless you're gonna cusomtize the tranny, or at least change your final drive..
that's more of what i'm going for. something that doesn't kick in at top end and only last for 2k rpms until i redline and have to shift. i'd take something that'll spool up a little quicker and still have good overall power.

the gt28r is 1/2 the price, as well, and flows a little better into the high end....

it depends on how early you want it to kick in, is all

both of 'em are ball bearing turbos, tho, very efficient for their size

and if it's done right, you're not gonna need nitrous, trust me

in all honesty i think itll be more then quick enough for a year or so...i would do other stuff like exhaust....intake.......higher flowing intercooler and pipping..... aem ems...bigger injectors....high flow fuel pump...because if your gonna do a bigger turbo you are gonna have to have this stuff at a minimum before you think of swapping turbos....otherwie youll notice little if any difference...really if you do the stuff listed i wouldent doubt youll be in the 300+ wheel horse power range...just upgrading the turbo I doubt youll gain much if any....and remember the speed six has like 190-200 whp stock so this gain will deffinitaly be noticeable.....
i've read the whp is in the 210-225 range on the speed6 but i could be wrong. i already planned on doing all that was mentioned before i touched the turbo though. i was doing the same with my dakota before it was totalled. all i had left to buy was r/t heads and i was ready to put all my parts on and be running low 13's in my truck, luckily it was all still in box's and not installed as i got a 100% refund on all the gear.

trust me if it is any thing like the evo youll be more then content with doing those other things before swapping the turbo....if your gonna do this promise me youll invet in the aem ems and a proper tune by a pro...I gained 60whp on the evo with just the aem ems....and a tune...

ya, any idea whether that car uses mechanically controlled boost or electronically controlled boost?

if it's electronically controlled, i'm sue you could gain a ton of hp just by tuning or upgrading your software

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.