Good question..

Participant count
  • Participant list

Isaac_62
10+ year member

Michigan
Guys,

Heres my setup: 98 Grand Prix gt... I have an all stock electrical system. I have a Sundown 1500 d... My subs are 2 dd3512 with d4 (amps gonna run at 1 ohm or close to it). Im going to do the big 3. Im also going to use 1/0 from bat to amp, as well as 1/0 for ground. Do you guys think i need to use 1/0 for my big 3? or can i use 2 4ga. wires?? also do you guys think ill have clipping or dimming issues??? I dont want to add an extra bat but i will if needed.

Thanks guys,

Your making more work for yourself by doing the (2) 4 gauge runs for your Big3 . You want the least resistance as possible in which 0 gauge is the choice of the big 3. It'll also be less work for you by doing this . As for dimming issues its pretty random on different cars. You just have to hope and see. Sometimes you get lucky and dont have to upgrade the alt and so on . On other hand some cars dim bad with only 1000-1500rms. IMO Id start with a bigger batt upfront , big 3 in 0 gauge, and 0 gauge amp kit then go from there .

The clipping issues are all dependent on how you have your settings on the amp. The voltage issue I don't think you will have a big problem but as said you just have to put it in and see what happen's. I don't think 1500rms would give you much dimming if you have the big 3, 1/0, and a bigger batt up front.

You are going to eat up that Red top in no time at all with that much music. You need a deep cycle type AGM battery. The bigger the better. Most likely if you are pushing that music full tilt, you are going to have some voltage drops, unless you have a matching rear battery.

AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries are a newer type of battery that is usually sealed and safe for use inside the cabin of a car. They also can produce more voltage and current than an appropriately sized flooded battery. They also have a lower internal resistance that leads to faster charging and discharging rates. Overall, this all adds up to the perfect audio battery.

I would recommend the largest model that you can fit under the hood of you car. Some of the more popular brands are Kinetik, Deka Intimidator, XS Power, Stinger, Odyssey, Hawker, and some others. That is plenty of brands to choose from. You will find some people prefer one brand over another, but to be honest, it is just like GM vs Ford vs Dodge. There is always going to be someone that prefers one brand and another guy who hates them. Honestly you probably could not go wrong with any of the brands I listed.

The clipping issues are all dependent on how you have your settings on the amp. The voltage issue I don't think you will have a big problem but as said you just have to put it in and see what happen's. I don't think 1500rms would give you much dimming if you have the big 3, 1/0, and a bigger batt up front.
This post makes me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

You want more surface area which allows for more current exchange.

Technically, resistance is lowered as surface area is increased. However, 2 runs of 4 AWG is fine. 0 AWG is better, but 2x of 4 works. I have 1x run of 4 AWG for my grounds and I have 14 volts at full tilt with a stock system and a single Duralast Gold series under the hood. (Running about 1,200 RMS.)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.