Good amp for $300-400

Participant count
  • Participant list

SCcobra4me
10+ year member

I'm looking for a good amp to run two Incriminator Audio 187's, I'm currently running an old school Punch 200 but it seems like I need a little more power. I was wondering what you guys recommended for an amp.

I currently have this in my DD (which is unworthy of more equipment) and will eventually get upgraded so I wanted to think future reference also. I eventually would like to get either 4 12's or something so I'd like to find an amp that run 4 subs if possible.

I was looking at the Sundown amps but know nothing about them so any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Well for $319 you can buy the 3000 watt RMS Audiopipe AP30001D, 1500 watts x 2 into 1 ohm stereo and 3000 watts x 1 into 2 ohms mono. It is too much for those 187s(so be careful with the gain) but that extra power will come in handy when you get 4 12s. You'll need at least one or two extra batteries and perhaps a high-output alternator to get 3000 watts out of it, I have one and it is much louder than my two 1000 watt Recoil 1000.1 amps I had before. Some guy tested on youtube and got just a tad over 3000 watts out of it with 4 batteries.

Sundown amps are great. How much power are you wanting to have available for upgrades and what ohm load do you need?
Not sure what the plan is yet, when I upgrade I'll probably move up to some better subs as well so was just looking for some recommendations on amps. Maybe some SA-12's for subs in the future or something. I should just look for a nice 1000-1200 watt amp that will run these good and if I need to double up the power in the future, well, just get another amp. I don't want to upgrade anything in my current car regarding the electical, maybe the battery but that's it.

But I had my Punch 200 ran down at 1 ohm and it made those 187's sound amazing but the amp didn't like the 1 ohm load so I brought it back down to 4 ohms. I believe those 187's a rated at 300-600 watts a piece so I know they're being underpowered a bit.

What model Sundown amps are recommended, I see they put out good power for fairly cheap on ebay. I was hoping to maybe even catch a good one on here also in the classified section. But will check out the audiopipe's as well like wingman said. Thanks for the info.

One last thing, I can use a one channel amp to power both my subs correct? And when it states 1200 watts into one channel at say 2 ohms or 1 ohm, that power will get distributed to both subs evenly putting about 600 watts to each? Sorry for the basic, newbie, bonehead question but I'm old school and slowly getting back into this and never dealth with DVC subs or one channel amps.

Not sure what the plan is yet, when I upgrade I'll probably move up to some better subs as well so was just looking for some recommendations on amps. Maybe some SA-12's for subs in the future or something. I should just look for a nice 1000-1200 watt amp that will run these good and if I need to double up the power in the future, well, just get another amp. I don't want to upgrade anything in my current car regarding the electical, maybe the battery but that's it.
But I had my Punch 200 ran down at 1 ohm and it made those 187's sound amazing but the amp didn't like the 1 ohm load so I brought it back down to 4 ohms. I believe those 187's a rated at 300-600 watts a piece so I know they're being underpowered a bit.

What model Sundown amps are recommended, I see they put out good power for fairly cheap on ebay. I was hoping to maybe even catch a good one on here also in the classified section. But will check out the audiopipe's as well like wingman said. Thanks for the info.

One last thing, I can use a one channel amp to power both my subs correct? And when it states 1200 watts into one channel at say 2 ohms or 1 ohm, that power will get distributed to both subs evenly putting about 600 watts to each? Sorry for the basic, newbie, bonehead question but I'm old school and slowly getting back into this and never dealth with DVC subs or one channel amps.
Um, not many people run their amps but I do- eD 9.1's are very solid amps and can be strapped.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.