Going to be running two BRAND NEW SA-8's in my new ported box. 2 vs. 4 ohms?

prevail

Banned
So, after MUCH research, (and a serious headache), I found a custom ported box for my F150 supercrew. I am curious as to what the advantages and disadvantages are of running either the 2 ohm or 4 ohm models.

(I know, newb Q., just trying to figure out exactly what to purchase)

I will be running an MTX JH600 for now (but will be upgrading to a higher quality 600-800 watts @ 4 ohm amp later, if I need to).

Thoughts, good people?

there is no advantage or disadvantage as long as u have an amp that can give them there rated power at either 2 or 4 ohms....

ohms to not make 1 subs better then another

there is no advantage or disadvantage as long as u have an amp that can give them there rated power at either 2 or 4 ohms....
ohms to not make 1 subs better then another
So, given my setup as described, what would y'all reccomend?

pics of the box ,here's mine i just built for my dc 8's
IMG_0497.jpg

2 sa-8 2ohms subs can be ran at 0.5,2, or 8 ohms on your amp

2 sa-8 4ohms subs can be ran at 1 or 4 ohms on your amp

the only difference between ohms is the stress on the electrical is less when running at higher ohms and amps are more efficient at higher ohms

It means that buying the 2-0hm version will in the end mean more watts pushed to the sub then if you bought the 4 ohm version. it will(should) be louder.

It means that buying the 2-0hm version will in the end mean more watts pushed to the sub then if you bought the 4 ohm version. it will(should) be louder.
not really his electrical probably can not support a 0.5 ohm load so his voltage would be low hence less power...

It depends on what amp you have. A lot of amps say x power @ 4 ohms, x power @ 2 ohms, x power @ 1 ohm

Depending on whether you have 4 ohm subs or 2 ohms, your wiring options will lead you to a certain ohm load. That certain ohm load then determines how much power your amp will put out. So if you wired your subs to 1 ohm, and your amp does 1000 watts at 1 ohm, you would be putting 1000 watts to your subs, but say you wired your subs to 4 ohms, and your amp does 250 watts at 4 ohms, you would instead be putting 250 watts to your subs.

Two DVC 4 subs - 1 ohm or 4 ohms are your wiring options

Two DVC 2 subs - .5 ohm or 2 ohms are you wiring options

Since your amp does it's most power at 2 ohms, get the dual 2 ohm versions so you can wire them to 2 ohms.

If I were you I would get the 4ohm option so you can upgrade your amp in the future to a 1ohm stable amp to maximize your power

You stated you wanted to upgrade amps so it would be better to run it with less power for now and upgrade to a nice 1ohm stable amp later

I have good, stable power (220 PB alt, primary and secondary battery, 0g power wiring, big 3, etc). The current amp is (now) just a temporary solution until I figure out my subs (as that RF was intended to be.) Primarily interested in SQ, but I'll take a bit o' SPL if I can get it clean...(yah, I know...)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.