Going active with Imprint?

Participant count
  • Participant list

cnwahlheim
10+ year member

I was wondering if anyone here has played around with an active crossover set-up using the Alpine Imprint processor. I am considering "going-active" in the near future and am trying to decide on which equipment will best suit my needs. I am currently running an Arc Mini 125.4 (four channels) to a set of Hertz High Energy 6.5" components (passive, front 2 channels 75 X 2) and a Hertz Energy 12" Sub (rear 2 channels 250 X 1) off of an Alpine IDA-X305 HU. One option would be to use my current four channel amp with the Imprint processor in an active configuration on the front stage while adding another amp for the sub. This option seems cost effective, but I am not sure how about the quality of the Imprint processor. The other, more expensive, option I was considering was to pick up a Zapco DC Reference 650.6 and use the on-board processor to run 50X4 active to the front stage and 350 X 1 to the sub. Of course, I assume that the latter would sound better, but due to financial constraints, I am willing to go with the former if the quality is reasonable. I would appreciate opinions from anyone who has had experience with any of this equipment. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
What problem are you trying to solve by going active? What goals are you trying to achieve by going active?

The only advantage active has granted me was the ability to mismatch drivers and control their crossover slopes. Since you are already running matched components with passives designed to run with them, going active may not net you that great of a benefit.

I used to think that I needed time alignment, in a car of all things, until I realized that the system sounds like utter crap to the passenger or when I am in the passenger seat. As long as you aren't married or don't have passengers riding with you, one seat tuning will work. Unfortunately, I am married and routinely have someone in the passenger seat, so 1 seat tuning is not an option. Granted, the full imprint tuning module allows one to tune for the driver's seat and the front two seats, but, time alignment is not the holy grail of sound quality that I thought it would be while actually DRIVING the vehicle. OTOH, if you are just going to sit in your driveway for hours and hours on end just listening to music in your car, full active with time alignment is the cat's ass.

ETA: I am running a CDA-9887 in one vehicle with manual tuning only because I don't like the way it sounds with Alpine's auto-tune via the KTX-100EQ.

What problem are you trying to solve by going active? What goals are you trying to achieve by going active?
The only advantage active has granted me was the ability to mismatch drivers and control their crossover slopes. Since you are already running matched components with passives designed to run with them, going active may not net you that great of a benefit.

I used to think that I needed time alignment, in a car of all things, until I realized that the system sounds like utter crap to the passenger or when I am in the passenger seat. As long as you aren't married or don't have passengers riding with you, one seat tuning will work. Unfortunately, I am married and routinely have someone in the passenger seat, so 1 seat tuning is not an option. Granted, the full imprint tuning module allows one to tune for the driver's seat and the front two seats, but, time alignment is not the holy grail of sound quality that I thought it would be while actually DRIVING the vehicle. OTOH, if you are just going to sit in your driveway for hours and hours on end just listening to music in your car, full active with time alignment is the cat's ass.

ETA: I am running a CDA-9887 in one vehicle with manual tuning only because I don't like the way it sounds with Alpine's auto-tune via the KTX-100EQ.
he's alive!

I want to go active to gain more control over the frequency response of my speakers. My impression is that there are peaks and valleys that need to be flattened to improve the SQ. In particular, the frequencies on the upper end of the spectrum are too intense for my liking, and there are some mid-bass frequencies that could use a boost. Also, it would be nice to have the additional power that the passive crossover networks are currently wasting.

I thought I would use the Imprint's parametric EQ to tune the system and probably time-align it as well. You do make a good point, though, that the time alignment can very driver-centric. I ride alone most of the time, but my girlfriend and I do our weekend shopping in my car, so she might not appreciate the system being TAed for me only. What would it sound like to time-align the system to a point in the center of the vehicle?

I've read mixed results about the auto-tune feature. I've never actually heard a system configured in that manner. I figured that manual tuning would be the way to go because of my compulsivity.

BTW, aside from your HU, what else comprises your system? Are you happy with the manual tuning capabilities of the Imprint?

he's alive!
Hey, I may be married but I am not dead!

I just learned that I need to watch it on this forum because it would appear that one can NOT openly discuss certain car audio gawds without having their thread hidden from view. Imagine that, not being able to openly discuss car audio on a car audio forum because a certain mod has a vested interest in a certain manufacturer. Go figure...

Hey, I may be married but I am not dead!
I just learned that I need to watch it on this forum because it would appear that one can NOT openly discuss certain car audio gawds without having their thread hidden from view. Imagine that, not being able to openly discuss car audio on a car audio forum because a certain mod has a vested interest in a certain manufacturer. Go figure...
indeeed. Also, Don't mess w/ the advertisers yo!

Admins don't like when you mess with their cash flow, even if it's the truth being told that hurts their sponsors. oh well.

I'm so glad my passengers aren't audiophiles //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm not sure about the other imprint kits, but the h650 can do a pretty good job (especially since you can manually tune after their auto-tune).

I'm not sure about the other imprint kits, but the h650 can do a pretty good job (especially since you can manually tune after their auto-tune).
From memory, the options are extremely limited after the 9887's tuning module does something... like Bass and Treble, only lol. Good thing I had a buddy of mine do it for free, otherwise I would have hated spending money on the KTX-100EQ.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.