going active on 860mp with mbquart comps

buy a Y rca cabel...and dont take this the wrong way but im not sure if u understand what going active means..
Why is an RCA Y-splitter needed when going active? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

if he doesnt wanna go with the second rca from the HU..or did i get him wrong?

in anycase u need a 4 channel amp, and a mid-high end one if u wanna have anything that remotly looks like a Xover on it

if he doesnt wanna go with the second rca from the HU..or did i get him wrong?
in anycase u need a 4 channel amp, and a mid-high end one if u wanna have anything that remotly looks like a Xover on it
You have to use 2 sets of RCA's in NW mode when using external power, well 3 if you want the sub also. I'm positive there is a sticky on this subject.......BTW he's using the decks Xover. That's the whole point.

ok, whats the NW mode, english isnt my mother language as u can see from my location...im not so much a noob as i dont know the terminology in english..obviously
Basically it's a switch on the deck that means Network Mode. It enables the deck's 3-way crossover. Do some research.

NW mode = active mode from the HU itself. The front outputs become dedicated high outputs, the rear outputs become dedicated mid outputs, and the sub output remains the same.

High (front outs) = tweeters

Mid (rear outs) = mids

Sub (sub out) = sub

Okay, I'm back. I finished it. Now it sounds bad ass. Like 20 times better now than before when I had just the crossovers. But it's all thanks to everyones help. I couldn't have done it without ya. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

One more thing.... should I use the high pass filter on the amp for the tweeters or just leave it on full?

Yes, the FRONT rca's become HIGH and the REAR rca's become MID.

Actually you can with that deck. The front wires become high and the rear wires become mid. It wouldn't be enough power to reach full potential but can be done.
I was NOT aware of that. Are you sure the deck's speaker wires aren't putting out full range? Or are they putting out crossed over music signal. I guess I just figured you couldn't as most into running an active setup would NOT use the deck's power.

Okay, I'm back. I finished it. Now it sounds bad ass. Like 20 times better now than before when I had just the crossovers. But it's all thanks to everyones help. I couldn't have done it without ya. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
One more thing.... should I use the high pass filter on the amp for the tweeters or just leave it on full?
Do NOT use any crossovers besides the one in the head unit.

Yes, the FRONT rca's become HIGH and the REAR rca's become MID.

I was NOT aware of that. Are you sure the deck's speaker wires aren't putting out full range? Or are they putting out crossed over music signal. I guess I just figured you couldn't as most into running an active setup would NOT use the deck's power.
Yep, I ran a set of BG planars off the deck amp on my 860 paired with some rs180s off an external amp. I miss those little boogers... 10 watts and they'd scream. The deck I'm selling(7897) in the classifieds also has this ability.

can someone explain to me what it means to go active? I'm interested in learning about it and have never gotten a good answer. I take it you have to have 3-ways? and a 4 channel amp for each pair of comps? correct me if I'm wrong. I've asked this like 2 or 3 times and still don't understand it and how it's different than just having a 2 way comp set on an amp.

can someone explain to me what it means to go active? I'm interested in learning about it and have never gotten a good answer. I take it you have to have 3-ways? and a 4 channel amp for each pair of comps? correct me if I'm wrong. I've asked this like 2 or 3 times and still don't understand it and how it's different than just having a 2 way comp set on an amp.
Going active means you have a multi-way speaker setup and are not using any passive crossovers.

In place of the passive crossovers, you have to have an active crossover, which is usually placed before amplification occurs. ...or some HU (like in the OP's case here) has the active crossovers built in.

Here's a typical active layout:

HU --> Active Crossover --> Amps --> speakers

vs a typical passive layout:

HU --> Amps --> passive crossovers --> speakers

so if i had a h/u that had the active crossover what type of amp or comps would I need? would 2 ways work? I'm not really great with how crossovers, high pass, and low pass filters and all that stuff works. I've concentrated on substages and high power sub amps til now. now that i have that picked out and almost paid for i need to learn a little something about front stages. thanks for the help.

also don't mean to thread jack but it seemed like the op had his problem solved.

When going active, you'll need an amp channel for each speaker.

If you want to do a 3-way active setup, it's usually going to consist of tweeters, mids, and sub(s). This is probably the most common type of active setup there is.

It is definitely possible to do a 4-way (or more) setup, but you'll need additional amp channels and pass filters for each additional speaker.

Here's a rough example of how a 3-way would be set up:

SUB: LP, 80 Hz, 24 dB/Oct

MIDS: HP, 80 Hz, 18 dB/Oct and HP, 3200 Hz, 18 dB/Oct

HIGHS: HP, 3200 Hz, 12 dB/Oct

Obviously, the frequencies and slopes can be adjusted to the user's preference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.