Going Active, Need Advise~!

MCQuad
10+ year member

So I am thinking of going active and redoing my setup. I currently have an older Eclipse head unit that has the possibility of running my speakers active. My front door speakers are DLS R6A's driven by a Planet Audio amp, no speakers in the rear doors. My question is this;

Could I purchase a different brand of woofer, like say a Dynaudio 7 inch woofer, and use it with my current DLS R6A's using the 6 & 1/2 DLS driver as a mid range and the Dynaudio 7 inch driver as a woofer in a 3 way setup?

Or should I sell the DLS setup and look for a good deal on a 3 way set from the likes of Dynaudio or Focal (I want really good SQ!)?

Another possibility that I am looking into is possibly running my current DLS speakers active. How do you guys think that would sound compared to going with a 3 way setup?

Seen that you already have the DLS, run them active and see if you like what you hear.

If you dont, then sell them and buy a complete 3 way set and try them both passive and active, because its not easy to dial in a 3 way active, but if you are up to it, then why not...

Mixing different brand of speakers is never a good idea.

I have friends from Jonesboro, anyways, I suggest listening to as many brands of speakers as possible, check out your mounting options, and get ready for a lot of tuning. Running active is pretty easy, but running active correctly for an SQ install is one of the hardest things to do. Seems like you may have already sound deadened and stiffened panels, etc, etc. You will need to be more specific on your expectations and the work your willing to do, cause you can throw $5,000 at a set of components, but if you don't do the extra work, they might end up sounding like a $50 pair. We love pics!! Get out your camera and take pics and give us info!!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

Seen that you already have the DLS, run them active and see if you like what you hear.
If you dont, then sell them and buy a complete 3 way set and try them both passive and active, because its not easy to dial in a 3 way active, but if you are up to it, then why not...

Mixing different brand of speakers is never a good idea.
You are an idiot. I run Morel tweeters and H-audio mids, and guess who is going to MECA world sq finals?

You are an idiot. I run Morel tweeters and H-audio mids, and guess who is going to MECA world sq finals?

Thanks for the kind words but I can see your comprehension is limited, as you did not understand in what context I was refering to, btw good luck on the world finals !

I see that you learned a new word today, but as it turns out, comprehension is just something you can't well... Comprehend. Look at what you said, and tell me in what way I misunderstood your post? Most people on this board run raw drivers and/or mixed component sets.

It's pointless to dwell on this with you, as the first thing you thought of me, is that I am an idiot, see my point? Anyways thats about it, end of discussion.

I would run your current 2-way setup active and get the hang of that first. You can start to get a feel for how different crossover points and slopes affect the sound, plus you can discover the joy of the imaging resulting from independent level matching, time alignment, and equalization. Jumping right into a 3-way active setup plus a subwoofer is going to be a very large technical challenge for a first-timer. This is actually a 4-way setup, which your head unit almost certainly can't handle.

orly ******? I'm doing an internship that will result in me making 100k/year the year after I graduate. By the time I'm 30 I will be making a mill a year. BTW, Ohio State son

orly ******? I'm doing an internship that will result in me making 100k/year the year after I graduate. By the time I'm 30 I will be making a mill a year. BTW, Ohio State son
What does that have to do with anything I said?

Someone hasn't hit the graduation reality yet.

It's pointless to dwell on this with you, as the first thing you thought of me, is that I am an idiot, see my point? Anyways thats about it, end of discussion.
If you would like to rephrase what you said to make sense then I doubt I would have that opinion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.