GM stock speaker impedance?

toxicmegacolon
10+ year member

MI
Hey does anyone happen to know what the impedance is on the stock 6.5" door speakers in a 2012 Chevy Cruze? I'd like to run all four with 2 channels on my amp, but it's only rated down to 2 ohms. So, I'm hoping the factory speakers are 4+ ohms, but I don't know for sure and don't want to fry my amp. Just can't afford to buy speakers right now and figure amplified stock speakers is better than nothing.

I could be wrong but from what I seen most factory speakers are 8-25 watt, you really don't want to amp them. If you have a premium sound package you might have higher wattage but not much. What is your amp rated at? If you fry your speakers you won't have any. Iv'e seen a lot of good speakers sale cheap in the classifieds.

I don't think you can just measure speaker impedance with a multimeter -- it'll just read zero ohms. Maybe there's some way to do it that I don't know about?

I don't think you can just measure speaker impedance with a multimeter -- it'll just read zero ohms. Maybe there's some way to do it that I don't know about?
Just do it, it will work. Positive lead on positive sleeve, negative on negative.

I could be wrong but from what I seen most factory speakers are 8-25 watt, you really don't want to amp them. If you have a premium sound package you might have higher wattage but not much. What is your amp rated at? If you fry your speakers you won't have any. Iv'e seen a lot of good speakers sale cheap in the classifieds.
You may be right but I've done it in other vehicles and had it sound very much improved over the stock stereo. I had an old Chevy pickup with cheap paper 4x10's that sounded amazing with a good amp and a high-pass filter. I'm willing to try it out before I spend a couple hundred bucks and a bunch of time taking the doors apart. There's no worry about damaging the speakers with a big amp unless you drive them to the point that you're hearing insane, unbearable distortion.

Just do it, it will work. Positive lead on positive sleeve, negative on negative.
Are you sure? I've got a 10 ohm speaker in front of me and my meter reads either zero or incredibly close to zero (it's analog so I can't be totally exact).

I amped my stock speakers(2005 malibu) with an eclipse 4320 before putting in my comps and new wire. It actually sounded pretty effin good, lol. I was shocked.

Your analog ohmmeter needs to have a X1 scale and be "zeroed" by shorting the leads and adjusting the zeroing knob (assuming it's an old VOM style). DC resistance of a speaker coil reads about 20% lower than the actual impedance but it's close enough for a 2 ohm v.s. 4 ohm check. If you use a digital meter be sure to short the leads first to get the zero reading. Subtract that from your measurement.

I been running a 100.4 bridged on my stock front components for almost 2 years. Gets pretty loud and sounds good, only reason I haven't redone my front stage in this car yet.

My apologies, I was wrong. Stock speakers are amazing, don't worry about blowing them with an amp, they are made to handle lots of watts.
You could hook them up to a ten billion watt amp if you wanted to. You're not going to blow your speakers unless you're either deaf, stupid, or enjoy listening to horribly distorted music. I'm not saying that it's going to sound better than good speakers would, I'm just saying that it's going to sound a *lot* better than it does right now because a big amp that's barely breaking a sweat just sounds better than a crappy little in dash amp that's being driven near it's maximum capability.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.