GM Stereo.. amp internal or external?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Savant
10+ year member

Duke of DOH!
I'm just wondering if the stock (delco crapy thingy) in my ZR2 Blazer ('01) is amplified after the HU or in the HU.. I'm looking to get an LOC so I can drive my subs, but kinda need to know which kind to get (seems there are different kinds, or at least ones for different voltages)..

Also, do LOCs tap much power from the speaker they are infront of? I'll be running the LOC off of my back speaker(s).. but I have my fader turned to the back now anyway, if the LOC taps some power, I might be better off splicing it into the front speakers and setting the fader a bit more front than it is now? I was also wondering because I was gonna see about not getting long RCAs for now and putting the LOC in back near the amps.. but if front speakers is better then I need the full length RCAs..

Oh, and while I'm at it.. how do you go about hooking up a remote turn on wire? I don't think my HU has one.. and I don't have a power antena or anything either, so what would I use on the HU as the power source for it? Or do I have to wire in a switch... Can I just tap into a speaker wire? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Any info would be great //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

For a remote turn-on you can tap off of the Accessory wire from the factory deck. But wire it through a relay(to be sure that it will supply enough current). As far as th LOC goes...I would use the rear speaker lines as the input. If you go to the installation bay at Best buy or circuit city they should have a "Scosche" LOC specificaly for cars with factory amps. They Usually Only Have Them In The Install Bay.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.