glass box build feedback please

then why did he talk about polycarbonate? read more, talk less
Learn to read and comprehend.

What I was wanting feedback on is the use of glass on the inside. Automotive grade safety glass bonded to the birch with body panel adhesive or ¾” polycarbonate instead of glass. Have any of you tried this or know of someone who has done the insides with glass?
Now where in that did you get "window?"

Hey guys I am sorry I did not follow up on this topic for a couple of days. I was at regional finals for DB drag and a usaci event. The reason for glass or polly is so I don’t have as much sanding on the inside of the box when I am finished. It is not for rigidity because the box is already going to be 4 to 6 layers thick of the birch ply. Yes it is a comp box build 70hz

I see what your getting at, glass on the inside = smoother airflow. Problem I'm seeing is the bonding of the glass to the substrate ( wood). Glass and or polycarbonate are going to be difficult to bond to the wood with a strong enough bond not to rattle lose and negate any effect on smoothing the air flow. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I see what your getting at, glass on the inside = smoother airflow. Problem I'm seeing is the bonding of the glass to the substrate ( wood). Glass and or polycarbonate are going to be difficult to bond to the wood with a strong enough bond not to rattle lose and negate any effect on smoothing the air flow. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
your prolly right i dont realy see how fiberglass stays bonded to wood either and i hate sanding.

I tried the same idea, but with marble and it worked out great. You can actually buy liquid nails that bonds with wood/marble which is what I did for my 65 hz marble box that was doing 155+ with one 18"

your prolly right i dont realy see how fiberglass stays bonded to wood either and i hate sanding.
Resin seeps into the pores of the wood. Porous surfaces are easy to adhere to. Glass on the other hand.....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.