GHETTO solution to a heat problem.....

BassAddictJ
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
FL
OK here's the problem:

-1 ohm amp that produces heat not being abused too bad but it gets bad after 30 min of playing due to.......

-there's like 5 inches of space between the amp and the dynomat and aluminum of the car so there's very little air for the amp to breath.

-car is black so it absorbed heat like crazy

-I live in Florida and it's the summer, hot as BALLS!!!!!

- 2 layers of sound deadening that insolates so well heat barely escapes the trunk....

- the orion 1200d is mostly flat and isnt designed to dissappaite heat as well as other amps (like my favorite fin crazy memphis's)

some hot day the amp is hot before i even start my car...

SOLUTION: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i had an extra 10 pentium 2 heatsink/fans laying around from another project i never finished so i decided to put them to good use....

lined the top of the orion 1200d with 6 heatsink/fans, wired all thier power up to a relay for power. The fans and the remote on/off for the sub amp is controled by a switch up front which signal comes from the remote on/off signal from the HU (so i can leave the switch "on" and the amp will stay off with the car off).

i wanted to use a water soluable glue to secure the fans but the vibrations shake it off, so i rubber banded the hell out of it and now this is what i've got.....

NOTE: the heat sinks tend to cut the rubber bands so i couldnt stretch them out too far, so i just used many many more...........

http://img49.echo.cx/img49/4500/p10109912nh.jpg

yikes...........it looks soooo ghetto but it does a GREAT job.........

That sounds good, I just used the Floor AC vent in my Expy and hooked up a hose to it and fired it at my amps..

Just turn on Floor and COOL and boom amps cool down...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

the ac vent idea is a good one.

you could make a box around the amp and have an intake and exhaust (sp?) fan. i know you can buy these little padsthat when plugged in they get cold as f|_|ck

the ac vent idea is a good one.
you could make a box around the amp and have an intake and exhaust (sp?) fan. i know you can buy these little padsthat when plugged in they get cold as f|_|ck

more details on those if you don't mind???

i remember one of my friends had them when i was in HS i think you can buy them at places like fry's or any electronics supply store might have them. i think they are used in computers to cool down the chip alot. but they do start to get really cold to build up condensation and the other side gets really hot. but its an electric transfusion or something. and they are used for computer chips. i think they range in price from 13-50 depending on the size

its called TEC thermo electric cooling one sid eof the plate gets hot, while the other side gets cool, if you dont cool the hot side, the cool side wont get cool, and basically, you have money down the drain cuz soon after, the unit will die.. lol most use it for overclockin.

definitely try new egg. In my computer case, i have a thermal take silent tower that's louder than **** but keeps my internal temperature at about 59.3 degrees celsius at the processor. That's really good for the stuff i'm running in there. I don't know how well a silent tower would work on an amp (plus they're ****in huge), but the thermal take stuff is the best pc cooling stuff you can buy. I wonder if you could use the water cooling system found in PC's in an amp? That would be pretty badass, and that stuff works like a charm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.