getting ripped off?

SYLrules
10+ year member

PERMANENT VACATION
went to a local store and asked how much for a custom ported box for 2 12s and they tell me $250-$275!! i dont live in a big city and this isnt some crazy fancy shop either, just some local joint, so i dont know how they would come up with a figure that high. they then tell me i could could a prefab through them for $125-$150 but that still seemed a bit high so i said thanks and left. i was complaining about this to a friend and he knows a guy who says he'll build and paint a fiberglass box for $200. ive never priced fiberglass boxes and i havent seen this guys work, but he used to work at a shop in a nearby town. im going to see photos of his work this week or next and decide from there. id rather him just show me how to properly build a wood box so i can do it all myself.

several years ago through another car audio site, i had a guy a few hours north of me build and ship a sealed box for these same 2 12s, and he only charged me $50 all said and done. its a good box but i just changed vehicles and of course its not sounding the same so i figure id try ported. as far as this local store goes, $250 had better get me the best ******* box the world has ever seen! several years back this same store sold me 2 12s in a bandpass box and an amp and installed it for $440. thats actually the box i have running right now but the sweet spot is waaaay to high. this is meant for a smaller vehicle. dont know why its over half of that just for a fairly simple box?

for a custom made and tuned box that is about a normal . best bet is to get someone on here who has a good ampount of refs to build and ship you a box. and 200 for a fiberglass box is wwwwaaayyyyy cheap

then you are a little to full of yourself..

OP find someone local to do it.. shouldn't be more than 150 for custom/covered box to your liking
have you ever seen what an upholstery shop charges to cover a simple box with plain carpet? 75-150 $$$ plus 45$$$ in materials to build it and several hours labor. i dont do a box without covering for less than 150 but i warranty it for life except for obvious misuse/abuse. and after 20+ yrs i guess I value my cabinetry skills alot and so That makes me full of myself so be it. the local shops here are more than double my price. they start at 350 minimum for anything not prefabbed.

have you ever seen what an upholstery shop charges to cover a simple box with plain carpet? 75-150 $$$ plus 45$$$ in materials to build it and several hours labor. i dont do a box without covering for less than 150 but i warranty it for life except for obvious misuse/abuse. and after 20+ yrs i guess I value my cabinetry skills alot and so That makes me full of myself so be it. the local shops here are more than double my price. they start at 350 minimum for anything not prefabbed.
This is truth.

OP you get what you pay for.

why are you bringing upholstery shops into this?? I am talking single individuals.. not shops.. IDC.. I told the op to find a MEMBER on here not a shop.. some things a member can/will do it a lot cheaper than a shop will most of the time..

I will build him a box cheap 100$ no carpet ect ported and tuned based on the car its going in and the subs T/S parameters and real world experience for what works. but shipping would kill him. my point with an upholstery shop is to give an idea why they cost so much. any moron can glue and screw wood together, but if you want it done right you pay for it accordingly. because he is a forum member is the only reason I would do it so cheap //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I will build him a box cheap 100$ no carpet ect ported and tuned based on the car its going in and the subs T/S parameters and real world experience for what works. but shipping would kill him. my point with an upholstery shop is to give an idea why they cost so much. any moron can glue and screw wood together, but if you want it done right you pay for it accordingly. because he is a forum member is the only reason I would do it so cheap //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
yes but carpeting is not that difficult of a task..

I'm trying to find a forum member now to build a box for me - guy, try to have the specs and everything already done. I paid d_man1 to create me an enclosure to my liking, paid him a little money - now i'm finding someone to build it locally.

Just use your resources. Shops charge too much. Might as well do it yourself for that price, its really not too complicated. I just dont have a garage, nor the tools to do it myself.

if 200 for a FB is waaaay cheap i might as well look into it?

really wish i could do it myself. right now ive got space to work but im lacking some tools and lots of know how. theres just still so much i dont know. i was reading a long thread earlier about some guy saying his sub wasnt putting out any bass and he thought the enclosure was bad. read through the entire thing and people had varying opinions. id love to make my own ported box but it seems theres a lot more that goes into it than i thought. i just need to spend literally an entire day searching around and reading every tutorial i can find. but if i end up getting this FB box from this guy i might just ask him to show me everything he knows

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.