getting rid of my 18....I think 4 sa8 should do

Participant count
  • Participant list

burro breath
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So right now I have a built by me 18 that is a rockford rsx2 magnet with a cast 12 spoke basket and a team psi recone that is dual 1 ohm coils. I run it off a pioneer mrp 500 at 2 ohms. It is getting about 350-400 watts daily in a 9.5 cu ft box with a slot port tuned for 34 htz. It literally takes up the entire back of my 04 Subaru forester. It has served me well for over 5 years but I think I want actual cargo space. I was contemplating replacing it with 4 sundown sa8 but have several concerns...the biggest concern I have is that I will lose my low end extension. My 18 is sloppy above 100 htz but it handles the lows like a champ. If I get 4 sa8 and build the correct box can I achieve the low end extension I have grown so used to having? I know there is going to be some trade offs like I wont have perfect lows but will gain a lot higher extension. I was planning on running the 4 sa8 on 2000 rms daily. Also is 2000 rms daily too much power? My buddy has a single sa8 and have burned the tinsels on it twice in the past year and he was running 300 watts rms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody has any input or advice? I guess ill just do a build and post it here when I have the funds. Hopefully before Christmas
Is that a Pioneer or Alpine (mrp is Alpine). 4 8's in a 4th order would get low and dirty man. Your buddy is clipping his sub. He should be able to run 300rms to that sa easily on clean power. And yes, those 8's will take 2krms all day.

4 sa8v2 in 3 cubes tuned to 30hz will do everything you want.

Btw you don't want subs to play over 80hz they become very inefficient and always tend to distort. Same with playing too low a ssf is usually set 3 or 4 hertz below the tuning of the box to prevent damage.

2 in a car is fine if you have good wire and either a ho alt or a big batt next to the sub amp.

I think you have a horrible misunderstanding going on if you think subs should play anywhere above 80-100hz. Even those frequencies are already in the midbass section of music that should be played by mibass speakers.

Sorry I originally posted this from my phone and it auto corrected 100 to 200. I have my sub crossed over at 100 hz now...will 4 sa8s be able to play 100 htz and down or should I cross them over lower around 80 hz...I am also going to do a build when do this.

Sorry I originally posted this from my phone and it auto corrected 100 to 200. I have my sub crossed over at 100 hz now...will 4 sa8s be able to play 100 htz and down or should I cross them over lower around 80 hz...I am also going to do a build when do this.
I don't have experience with SA8s, but I have read over and over that they will drop off sharply above 50 Hz or so. There are a lot more subs out there than Sundown. Some Tantric LD-8s or MD-8s would do a better job over a wider bandwidth, and that's just one alternative brand.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.