Getting into the scene

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jsantoyo89

Banned
chicago
my passion for car audio has sparked over the last year and i feel like it is something i would enjoy doing for a living. i have done a couple of simple installations (hu,subs,tv's,speakers) but i want to increase my knowledge in this area. So here is my question which school would be best for doing this from my research i came across 3 but only 2 offer on site classes which would be Acoustic Edge Institute and Installer Institute. Or would i just be better of heading to the local Car Audi store and see if i can get an internship type deal?

yeah i looked into the same thing about 2 years ago.

all i can say is do you want your hobby to become a job? plus when i started to ask the installers what kind of cash they make.I was told it depends on how fast you are and if you get in tight with the sales man.because they are the one's getting you the work.i was also told you only get $8-$12 to install a deck and most work off commission only.then it depends on if you can sell the customer on other things also and making it the right price so they are happy and you make money.another thing to think about is well the 12 volt industry right now is not what it use to be.i remember when this forum was jumping with build logs and for sale threads galore and now you can go a week with out missing anything.

I decided not to make my hobby a job because i wanted to have fun at car shows and not think of it as WORK.BUT do what makes you happy ask the local shops if they will hire you with out schooling and go from there. goodluck

dont you worry none,the're idiots working at car tronics in madison tn that dont know how to properly install a system either.so dont feel bad.the hardest part of doing installs,imo,is running the wire and figuring out how the plastic pieces come off without breaking the tabs underneath.installing a hu,amp and subs is cake.the creativity will begin when you go installing door speakers on some cars.

thanks i have been thinking about asking around local shops but the issue is i don't have much experience.
shoot I've been messing around car audio for 15 years and never put in a tv EVER.I can do an alarm with the help of the internet.do everything else and build some very nice boxes in a very short time. all you can do is go in there and ask maybe start out in sales first then come in on your days off or after work and help the bay clean up hand them tools.you know simple things to let them know you are there to learn and help

You'd be better off owning a store and even then you're not going to make much money off it. Everyone into car audio absolutely loves it and it's a big part of people's lives but it's a losing proposition and everyone knows it. Sorry to sound so pessimisstic but I don't think I'm the only who feels this way. If you really enjoy installs put an ad out on Craigslist and do some private installs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.