OEM integration question

Participant count
  • Participant list

tooshort_128
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I'm thinking about doing my first oem integration setup. I'm used to tearing everything out and starting from scratch but I'm getting old and want convenience but keep some good SQ. Let's say I'm starting with a Bose system in a Tahoe and I want to keep the factory nav unit and speakers but want to add my 12" Q and my Diamond amp. I know I'll need a LOC but I want to add an equalizer as well to tweak everything to my liking. I know its easy to add an eq for the sub but can I also eq the factory system as well so everything blends nicely? I think that would involve putting an equalizer with speaker level inputs between the source unit and the factory amp, but would that work? If possible, what signal processor/LOC/equalizer unit could I use? An Audiocontrol dql8, RF 3sixty, Cleansweep, etc?

I'm using audiocontrol DQL with aftermarket amps for all speakers. tried paying around with factory amp and eq but it just never seemed to be right. Probably because of what Worlddre said about equilization being in the amp. I never even considered that.

I've used the 3sixty also and it was pretty decent( liked to show off using the PDA to tune my music).

I want to be able to tweak the sound to my liking while using the factory amp for the mids/highs. I'm hoping there is somebody with an amplified factory stereo that has done this....

Does the Bit Ten have speaker level inputs and outputs? Is it just because of the Bose amp or is this an issue with every factory amplified system? There has to be a way to eq a factory system....

Pretty much all factory amp setups are eqed in the amp. Most of them adjust as the volume goes up in order to protect the speakers. To het what you're after, you'll probably have to ditch the factory amp. Otherwise you'll be constantly fighting with it. I just did a simple factory integration for a sub on my car and I'll never do it again with a factory amplified setup. Luckily I have a remote gain because the amp cuts my bass as volume increases. So if I set it one way, it's too much bass on the low end and not enough on the high end. I'll be redoing the whole thing soon.

So a lower powered amp for the factory interior speakers is the only thing to do? Ill be selling some of my aftermarket stuff so maybe that could fund the purchase. But then again I wonder if it would be worth it to put an aftermarket amp on factory speakers even if they are premium.

Then the problem is that many factory amps are set up weird. Mine is an 8 channel with some odd impedance speakers. So getting an aftermarket amp that works correctly with them would be near impossible. Yours may be setup differently and may be easier but most factory amplified setups are a nightmare to work with. That's why most either leave it alone or redo the whole thing. Gather the info on your setup and see what you can do with it. If you change the amp tho, you won't get the full potential of it till you change your speakers.

I think the Bose amp controls the crossovers too so swapping the amp is out the question. Guess I'm stuck just adding an loc and put the amp/sub in there.

Crazy idea...will a speaker level to rca level converter work backwards? Most eq's/signal processors have speaker inputs and rca outputs. What if I use RCA male/male adapters on the output and connect a loc in reverse to turn the rca back into speaker level?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.