Getting First Subwoofer - Advice?

I have already accounted for this but thank you.
I'm just having a pretty rough time trying to pick a sub of my choice because I want something that does well with a variety of music with a balance of SQ and SPL.

I definitely know the Zv4's won't do the job for Rock and other kinds of music as it is a lower frequency woofer.

The only issue is I don't have much of a reference for how a subwoofer sounds because YouTube video's don't tend to give accurate sound since most camera microphone's don't pick up on bass well enough.

I'm considering the HDC412 but I have a budget of $600 and would like to spend it all and on something worthwhile since this will be my only upgrade I make for a long time.
If you just want to drop all $600 on a good sub go to soundqubeds big brother... the DC subs are made by the same guys as soundqubed but are basically the higher line (kinda like lincoln to ford in the car world) you would have to call DC to be sure but im almost positive the DC XL 12" would be in that range... it doesnt have a ton of excursion but i PROMISE you these things pound and from my experience sound good to. They will handle every bit of that Q1-2200D and more (even though it is suggested to only run 2200 rms but it will easily do more).

Here is a link to the page at least- DC Audio - XL

and to there contact number- DC Audio - Contact

Personally I still think you cant go wrong with the HDC4 BUT that DC will outdo it if you really want to spend the extra money :p

If you just want to drop all $600 on a good sub go to soundqubeds big brother... the DC subs are made by the same guys as soundqubed but are basically the higher line (kinda like lincoln to ford in the car world) you would have to call DC to be sure but im almost positive the DC XL 12" would be in that range... it doesnt have a ton of excursion but i PROMISE you these things pound and from my experience sound good to. They will handle every bit of that Q1-2200D and more (even though it is suggested to only run 2200 rms but it will easily do more). Here is a link to the page at least- DC Audio - XL

and to there contact number- DC Audio - Contact

Personally I still think you cant go wrong with the HDC4 BUT that DC will outdo it if you really want to spend the extra money :p
You are confusing dc with Dd.

Looks like I'll be grabbing a DC XL 12" with a Q1-2200W amp and that should fill my budget. Thank you guys.

I have one final question though.

What sort of enclosure should I be looking at with these sub's and what should it be tuned at?

get the q1... not something off ebay... to much bs with it. and the dc xl would be good in 1.5 to 2 cubic foot box (after displacement of the sub and port area) and probably tuned to like 33 Hz

get the q1... not something off ebay... to much bs with it. and the dc xl would be good in 1.5 to 2 cubic foot box (after displacement of the sub and port area) and probably tuned to like 33 Hz
Would this enclosure from Dave the Box Guy be sufficient?

Small:

Net box volume (after port displacement and avg. sub displacement of .12ft3): 1.5ft3 net volume

Overall dimensions: 29"w x 14.5"h x 13" d

Tuning: 33hz

or

Medium:

Net box volume (after port displacement and avg. sub displacement of .12ft3): 1.85ft3 net volume

Overall dimensions: 29.5"w x 14.5"h x 14" d

Tuning: 32hz

[quote name='Konfusi0n']Would this enclosure from Dave the Box Guy be sufficient?

Small:
Net box volume (after port displacement and avg. sub displacement of .12ft3): 1.5ft3 net volume

or

Medium:
Net box volume (after port displacement and avg. sub displacement of .12ft3): 1.85ft3 net volume
Tuning: 32hz[/QUOTE]

@double 07; builds amazing boxes from tennessee hit him up

Would this enclosure from Dave the Box Guy be sufficient?
Small:

or

Medium:

Tuning: 32hz
I would go with the medium because the small box is based on the avg sub placement of .12

the displacement of the DC XL 12 is .19 so after the actual displacement of the sub, that enclosure would be 1.43 which is just short of recommended.

Since you're running rated rms, which will likely be even lower after rise and voltage drop, I'd do the medium enclosure

Seriously get the soundquebd 2200 and a tantric hd you will be very happy. I would also look into 007 for the box, amazing quality and seems like a great guy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.