Getting First Subwoofer - Advice?

Konfusi0n

I know these forums get a lot of posts asking simple questions such as this but I'm not sure where to start.

I have around $1,000 to spend and am planning on getting a SAZ-1500D V.3 amplifier leaving me with around $400 to spare. I have been looking into grabbing a Fi Q but haven't came to a conclusion since I don't know much about subwoofers. I'm interested in SQ over SPL but would prefer to have both if possible.

I've been looking for one 12 but I could possibly do one 15.

Any advice?

I haven't yet upgraded my car's electrical system so I can't push 1250W at 2ohms and my amplifier I'm looking at buying can only hit 800W at 2ohms so I wouldn't be able to push it to it's limit regardless. I plan on upgrading my alternator and doing the big three eventually though.

Would it still sound decent underpowered or shall I have another recommendation?

first off: do the big three ASAP!!!

secondly:

soundqubed hdc412

fi bl or fi q

dc level 4

a sundown x12D2 you could run at one ohm by the way... just get the d2 and run them in parallel and then you can put all 1500 if you wanted it should take it pretty easily if you want to be safe though you can run it at 1250

if u was getting the sundown amp then ud be fine with the sa x 12s

I haven't yet upgraded my car's electrical system so I can't push 1250W at 2ohms and my amplifier I'm looking at buying can only hit 800W at 2ohms so I wouldn't be able to push it to it's limit regardless. I plan on upgrading my alternator and doing the big three eventually though.
Would it still sound decent underpowered or shall I have another recommendation?

first off: do the big three ASAP!!!a sundown x12D2 you could run at one ohm by the way... just get the d2 and run them in parallel and then you can put all 1500 if you wanted it should take it pretty easily if you want to be safe though you can run it at 1250
I'm looking into having a car audio shop near me do the install. If I get the x12 D2 and the SAZ-1500D, do I just tell them to run the 2ohm x12 D2 in parallel to 1ohm? I'm not sure of the terminology I need to use.

I know the big three helps provide better current flow but will it help take some load off my electrical system?

I have also been looking into getting a high powered alternator for my Chrysler Sebring 2006 Base model but I haven't found anything besides from some guy on eBay. If I could get some help finding something that would match my car, I would be grateful. Most websites I checked didn't list my car model.

Should I get a new battery as well?

Also, which would be a better choice? SQ HDC412 or SA X-12

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking into having a car audio shop near me do the install. If I get the x12 D2 and the SAZ-1500D, do I just tell them to run the 2ohm x12 D2 in parallel to 1ohm? I'm not sure of the terminology I need to use.
I know the big three helps provide better current flow but will it help take some load off my electrical system?

I have also been looking into getting a high powered alternator for my Chrysler Sebring 2006 Base model but I haven't found anything besides from some guy on eBay. If I could get some help finding something that would match my car, I would be grateful. Most websites I checked didn't list my car model.

Should I get a new battery as well?

Also, which would be a better choice? SQ HDC412 or SA X-12
There are PLENTY of companies out there that will build alternators for your car DC and Mechman are a few. The big 3 definitely helps take some load off of your electrical because it allows the power available to get there easier relieving some strain your system could be seeing. Most likely if your getting it installed they would probably run it to 1 ohm but to be sure i would suggest just asking them to run it at 1 ohm. Now between the 2 subs... i cant say i have ever heard the SA X-12 but i have heard many other Sundown subs and they almost always sound great now that being said I personally am getting a SQ HDC310 in my little miata because i personally love the value that SQ has plus they hit hard and sound good. Honestly they are both going to be great subs at that point i would say its preference. By the way if you want to run it at 1 ohm make sure you get one dual voice coil 2 ohm woofer or two of either 1 or 4 ohm dual voice coil subs. I would personally suggest getting a new battery one from xs power or something shouldnt run you to much just make sure its the right dimensions and your set. I can tell you with my current setup (1500 watts rms to a single 10 and 450 watts rms split between 4 6x8s) my lights dimmed ALOT until the big three and still do a little so i plan on alternator and second battery next :p

I know these forums get a lot of posts asking simple questions such as this but I'm not sure where to start.
I have around $1,000 to spend and am planning on getting a SAZ-1500D V.3 amplifier leaving me with around $400 to spare. I have been looking into grabbing a Fi Q but haven't came to a conclusion since I don't know much about subwoofers. I'm interested in SQ over SPL but would prefer to have both if possible.

I've been looking for one 12 but I could possibly do one 15.

Any advice?
by the way just another REALLY good option for an amp for cheaper

soundqubed Q1-2200D- Q1-2200D

or soundcubed Q1-1200D- Q1-1200D Amplifier

Both are strappable meaning that if you decide you want more bass in the future (which trust me you will :p) you can buy another of the exact same model and hook them together giving you double the normal rms at 2ohms instead of one. Just some suggestions!!!

by the way just another REALLY good option for an amp for cheapersoundqubed Q1-2200D- Q1-2200D

or soundcubed Q1-1200D- Q1-1200D Amplifier

Both are strappable meaning that if you decide you want more bass in the future (which trust me you will :p) you can buy another of the exact same model and hook them together giving you double the normal rms at 2ohms instead of one. Just some suggestions!!!
How much wattage does a single Q1-2200D put out at 2ohms?

I found the linked power was 4400 watts but couldn't find what it was by itself.

Would an X-12 at 1250w@2ohms require more power than a 1250w@1ohm, or would it use the same amount?

Would one or the other be better on my electrical system?

I have also been looking into grabbing a high powered alternator and AGM battery as well as doing the big three.

Are most batteries around the same size? How should I know if it will fit in my car?

I am now looking into just grabbing a Q1-2200D and ZV4-12 and just temporarily under powering them until I can get a HO alternator and an AGM battery.

Would any car audio shops do a big three installation for me?

How much wattage does a single Q1-2200D put out at 2ohms? I found the linked power was 4400 watts but couldn't find what it was by itself.

Would an X-12 at 1250w@2ohms require more power than a 1250w@1ohm, or would it use the same amount?

Would one or the other be better on my electrical system?

I have also been looking into grabbing a high powered alternator and AGM battery as well as doing the big three.

Are most batteries around the same size? How should I know if it will fit in my car?

I am now looking into just grabbing a Q1-2200D and ZV4-12 and just temporarily under powering them until I can get a HO alternator and an AGM battery.

Would any car audio shops do a big three installation for me?
It should put out 1100 watts rms at 2 ohms but you can ALWAYS run it at 1 ohm and set your gains properly so that you aren't pushing all 2200. Batteries are not the same size easiest way to know what will fit is go physically measure your battery length, width, and height and find a battery that matches those dimensions. Most shops should do the big three I was quoted like $100 to do it plus parts so I'm just doing mine myself (it's actually really simple). If you decide on that setup try powering the sub around 1500 rms because it needs to break in for a few weeks anyways and that should give you some time to upgrade your electrical system without causing to much if any dimming. And btw do yourself a favor... get the hdc412... it's cheaper has a 4 inch magnet vs. The zv4s 3 it has 2k rms vs. The zv4s 1750 and both have aluminum Flatwind coils. I would use the extra money on upgrading your electrical. So that you can use the full potential of that amp.

I appreciate all the help man!

I'll keeping looking into that recommendation but I'm still more than likely going for the Zv4's for the lower frequencies and higher excursion.

However, the Zv4 doesn't play higher frequencies which leaves me on the fence about it.

I'll focus on getting my electrical done ASAP though. Thanks again.

Its great to see a thread that stayed on topic. I agree with Big 3 ASAP I did that in my Mini without any other upgrades yet with running BRZ1700.1 and now a RF T1000.1 and T800.4 with either no or very little, dimming. I will be upgrading battery when stock one finally kicks but until then why change it. Back to topic any one of the subs that have been mentioned are good choices. I don't know how the shops in your area are but I have had the experience of them here sticking it to ya when installing items they didn't sell you. See if any possibly sell the brands your interested in to possibly work a discount for package. Are you building your enclosure or having shop build it? Expect that to be $200 or more in the budget if shop is building it. Just my input that I hope helps but probably doesn't.

Its great to see a thread that stayed on topic. I agree with Big 3 ASAP I did that in my Mini without any other upgrades yet with running BRZ1700.1 and now a RF T1000.1 and T800.4 with either no or very little, dimming. I will be upgrading battery when stock one finally kicks but until then why change it. Back to topic any one of the subs that have been mentioned are good choices. I don't know how the shops in your area are but I have had the experience of them here sticking it to ya when installing items they didn't sell you. See if any possibly sell the brands your interested in to possibly work a discount for package. Are you building your enclosure or having shop build it? Expect that to be $200 or more in the budget if shop is building it. Just my input that I hope helps but probably doesn't.

I have already accounted for this but thank you.

I'm just having a pretty rough time trying to pick a sub of my choice because I want something that does well with a variety of music with a balance of SQ and SPL.

I definitely know the Zv4's won't do the job for Rock and other kinds of music as it is a lower frequency woofer.

The only issue is I don't have much of a reference for how a subwoofer sounds because YouTube video's don't tend to give accurate sound since most camera microphone's don't pick up on bass well enough.

I'm considering the HDC412 but I have a budget of $600 and would like to spend it all and on something worthwhile since this will be my only upgrade I make for a long time.

The alt may or may not be an issue here. It's only 1500 rms. but the big 3 and new agm battery is a must ! Now if you decide you need the xlt or just want it to be in the safe side. We at singer alts can take care of you

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.