Getting bored with set up.

Participant count
  • Participant list
Zaph|Audio

Scroll down to the Scanspeak 10f. A very good 4 inch driver. A little smaller than 4 inches but excellent. I've used them in a three way and they were great. I ran them from 300 to 500 hz on the low end and 3500 to 5000hz on the high end. Great output and they will take a lot of power for such a small driver.

thanks. Though most of those are 7+ year old speakers. im sure there are better for the buck these days.
you know that build quality nowadays is declining right... those drivers suggested are much better overall than most of the 300-400 dollar component sets out there.

Zaph|Audio
Scroll down to the Scanspeak 10f. A very good 4 inch driver. A little smaller than 4 inches but excellent. I've used them in a three way and they were great. I ran them from 300 to 500 hz on the low end and 3500 to 5000hz on the high end. Great output and they will take a lot of power for such a small driver.
This is a very interesting driver, and my tests were diverse and extensive. Frequency response on the infinite baffle is first rate, nearly a flat line for a 6 octave span. That could open the door for some interesting design oportunities. Harmonic distortion is also very good and we pretty much have one of the better midranges available. Overall it's a well built and tiny midrange that should find it's way into many great 3-way designs. This is effectively a 3" driver with a radiating surface of just over 2". It's hard to understand how small this is until it's in your hand. Use with a small neo tweeter for closer spacing and a higher crossover point.

Good consistency between samples. One had a little higher Qts and lower Vas but close enough to not care. Midrange subenclosure size is generally unimportant as long as it is properly damped. Once I got the T/S parameters, I did some power handling sims and they show that this driver does not need to be treated like a dome midrange with minimal excursion. Even at 300Hz LR2 electrical filtering, calculated Xmax is not exceeded even with 256 watts. Power handling will always be a thermal issue with this midrange unless you try to treat it more like a small woofer than the midrange it is.

Be aware that the rear of the cutout MUST be chambered or performance will be seriously compromised in several ways that effect both linear and non-linear distortion. This seems to be the case with the tests Vance Dickason presented in Voice Coil, as those results did not look very good. The driver happened to fit my baffle cutout for the Seas 22TAF tweeter, so I just took that and chamfered the back side all the way around including the terminal notches.

those two seem to contradict eachother

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.